10. Sad Little Shadows

Octavia

I glance over at the clock by my bed. My body feels tired and achy but my mind won't turn off. 5:18am. Second year Specialists have morning workouts 7 till 7.45. Something about fitting in a morning run and full body HIIT workout before Breakfast. Which is at 7.30-8.30 so there's no food available in the cafeteria right now and I haven't stocked the kitchen yet.

I'll have to drive into the village or put an order in through school. My mind drifts back to yesterday. The lesson with Dowling.

"Stella, Octavia, please take a seat." Dowling indicates to the sitting area in the back of her room. There's a coffee table surrounded by plush armchairs and a sofa. "Your mother tells me you have more control over your magic when you're both together so for now you'll share a lesson."

I glance over at Stella seeing her smile gratefully at Dowling. "My sister and I have basic control of our magic. We can create simple things and have the knowledge and skill to do things well past third year students." Dowling raises her brow in surprise.

She clearly thinks Queen Luna has been filling you both with dreams of grandeur.

So little faith she has

"The problem is control and consistency." My sister finishes, looking at Dowling. Dowling pauses.

"Consistency?"

"What my sister is trying to say." I cut in, drawing Dowling's attention to me. "One day we could be creating illusions, wielding our magic in fights and maintaining it healthily. Then the next we can barely get a spark. Our magic is far too intertwined with our emotions that it picks up on subtleties we aren't aware of."

I glance at the clock again - 5:23am. I let out a sigh.

Please get up. Little shadows begs. You're driving us insane.

Might as well get a head start on school work or the morning workout. Darkling adds on.

I stand looking around my room for my bags. I might as well finish unpacking. I work as efficiently as I can. Folding and hanging clothes. Making the bed. Arranging photos and trinkets. I move to the living room to add in little touches of home. It was practically filled already with the things I like - no doubt thanks to Stella's interior design skills and planning.

I placed down a few candles, photos of Stella and I, photos from Britain, one of Drea and I and one of Bea and I when we were training. My heart clenches. Helios I miss her. She was my other half. I'll get her back. That's what I'm here for after all. I just need to learn enough to get her back. Then we'll start our new lives.

"This is the beginning of your new lives here." Dowling says. She's trying to encourage Stella and I to be comfortable with our magic but I just can't bring myself to do it. This isn't the beginning. It's the end of Queen Luna's control over my training, it's the middle of finding Beatrix but I suppose it is the beginning of my time at Alfea.

"You have a clean slate." Dowling stretches her hands out, palms up. "You can choose which direction you want to go in." Light appears in her hands. Not like Stella's or I but light nonetheless.

Stella's transfixed. Eyes wide at the display.

I thought Dowling was an air fairy? I ask

She is, Darkling replies. But she's been training for a very long time and is very powerful.

All magic is linked. Asmodeus continues. With time your magic can travel those links and branch out. It's not the same as your core element and certainly not as powerful but it's there nonetheless.