56 : From the Unnies (2)

"Sana." Nayeon turns to the girl sitting on the floor in front of her. "I am going to be really honest with you here so I hope you will also give me a very honest talk for all fairness."

The cheer captain gently nods a couple of times in agreement.

"I know that no one would wish to be in love with someone who is already engaged to another person for marriage. What Tzuyu has now is a very messed up situation. I acknowledge that. But..." The older sister continues to speak. "That doesn't mean that you can take advantage of her nor play with her heart."

Sana lets out a deep sigh. "I know that I can't blame you for thinking like that because of my history of past relationships. I mean— I know I've got some kind of reputation here being the flirty cheer captain but..." She seriously glances at each of the girls sitting on the stairs in front of her. "Those days are over now. When Chou Tzuyu appeared right in front of me late last year, my world certainly flipped over. It was like all of a sudden, Tzu is the only person I'd love to flirt with all of my—"

"Hey—" Jeongyeon yells in protest. She purses her lips immediately though after receiving a glare from her girlfriend. She flashes an awkward smile and signals to Sana. "Go on. Please continue whatever you were saying."

The cheer captain stifled a chuckle. "What I wanted to say was... don't worry so much you two. You are way too overprotective than the usual parents should be. There is nothing to be worried about because I'm all serious about her."

"Thank you." Nayeon faintly smiles. "Now, going back to the topic earlier... I had to confirm if that was really you mainly for two reasons. First, Jeong and I were actually both in the hospital when you two went on that overnight date. So being the overprotective sister that you have just told me that I was... Of course I wanted to know what happened between the two of you. And, second—" She paused to inhale generously. "Second, I'm not sure how my father did not get a call to confirm you as a first time guest in our unit that time but I'd like to tell you that you should never do that again."

"Huh?" Sana seems to have been lost with the second reason she just heard. "Why? What did I— What do you mean?"

"Sana. My sister already explained to you about the deal she made with our father, right?"

"Yeah." The cheer captain nods. "She did."

"My father is a good business man. There's no way he would want to lose to that deal."

Sana awkwardly chuckles, still obviously a bit lost with the topic. "Which means...?"

"Tzuyu wants to hide you from him." Nayeon takes the liberty to further explain. "She doesn't want our dad to know your whereabouts. She even hides the fact that she already found you so that dad would lay back thinking that there is still no progress in Tzuyu's search for her childhood friend."

"Hu— Huh?" Sana slightly tilts her head in confusion. "And why is that? What's the need for that?"

"Ugh. Still not getting it?" The soccer manager rolls her eyes. "Tzuyu thinks that dad would do whatever it takes to win the deal and that includes the possibility that he might do something to you like—"

"Like what?" The cheer captain quickly cuts in. "Like offer me a huge amount of money to leave his daughter alone?" She continues in a mocking tone. "News flash. The last time I checked, we're not in some kind of late afternoon drama for something like that to happen."

"Sana, you don't know him. My dad could do something—"

"Yes, I may not know Mr. Chou enough..." Sana has suddenly shifted into something serious. "But I know myself, Ms. Chou Nayeon."

"Sana—"

"That's one of the reasons why I think that deal was stupid! Tzuyu thinks I need some kind of protection. Yes, she was always protecting me from the bullies when we were kids. I give her that. But we're no longer kids anymore." The cheer captain's voice is starting to raise. "I'm now a grown up woman now and I'm pretty sure I can fight for myself. Why does she have to submit to do those things she doesn't want to do at all?"

"Because Tzu is thinking about you."

Sana loudly scoffs. "That's stupid, Nayeon. Why does she have to suffer alone while I'm cruising in my happy life? I'm supposed to be her partner here, right? If that's what she wants, then she better have to stop thinking that I'm still the same kid back who can't do anything when we were in grade school!"

"Then what do you want her to do?" The soccer manager's voice is now also starting to be laced with frustration. "She doesn't have a choice! Tzuyu is doing everything she can to—"

"No choice? Are you kidding me?" Sana is now officially looking pissed. "She has! Tzuyu has a choice! She has a choice to not hide things from me thinking that it is for my greater good. She has a choice to ask me if I want to stop her suffering. She has a choice to take me alongside her and fight with her! She has all those choices! And yet she chose to not trust me and be alone."

"Sana—" Nayeon massages her temples. She pauses for a second to heave in a deep breath, calming herself. "You know it's not that easy for her. Think also from her shoes. Please. You have to meet her halfway if you want this to work. Can't you do that for her? I thought for one that you can do better. Am I wrong to expect that from you?"