1

Cattrina Daisy-Alice Jackson sat at lunch with her two best (and pretty much only) friends; Eli Moskowitz and Demetri Alexopoulos

Cattrina Daisy-Alice Jackson sat at lunch with her two best (and pretty much only) friends; Eli Moskowitz and Demetri Alexopoulos. She picked at her lunch as she listened to Demetri and Eli talk about some new video game that was coming out soon. Her black bangs were partly covering her face.

"It's supposed to be out next week," Demetri said.

Cat looked up at them and quickly got their attention before signing, 'I heard the release date got pushed back another week.' She can talk but only feels comfortable talking to very few people, so she usually uses sign language or other nonverbal ways of communicating. Pretty much everyone, other than Eli and Demetri, has never heard her voice.

"Again?" Eli asked. "It was supposed to be out like 2 or 3 months ago."

Demetri went to say something but didn't get the chance to. Instead, Kyler, the biggest asshole in the school, came up to their table. "Looks like the freak show's in town."

Kyler grabbed Eli's lunch tray and threw it on the ground.

"Oops," Kyler laughed. "You don't mind, do you Lip?"

Eli moved his hand to cover his scar.

"That's what I thought," Kyler smirked. Cat scoffed at him, rolling her eyes. "You got something to say, Mute?"

Cat rolled her eyes again and signed, 'I'm not mute. I just don't talk to assholes, bullies, or dickheads. You're all three so fuck off.'

Eli and Demetri snickered. Kyler glared at them. "What'd she say? What's you say, Mute?"

"She, um, she said that she's not mute. She just doesn't talk to people like you," Demetri loosely translated.

"What hot people?" Kyler said.

Cat shook her head no.

Kyler scoffed, "Whatever, freaks." He dumped a bottle of water on Cat's head. "Melt Witch," he said before he and his friends walked away laughing.

Cat, Demetri, and Eli all got up and went out into the hall. They walked to Cat's locker where she had spare clothes. This wasn't the first time this happened and probably won't be the last. Not only did she get bullied for 'being mute', which she technically isn't, but she also got bullied for 'being a witch'. Again she isn't technically a witch, but her mom's side of the family is pagan.

"For not being someone to speak up, you're pretty, uh, bold," Eli said.

Cat snickered softly. "I'm just speaking- er signing the truth," she muttered. No one else was in the hall so she actually talked instead of signing. "Plus, it's easier to say things when you're not actually saying them."

—---

Cat laid in the middle of Eli's bed as the two boys sat on either side of her. Eli and Demetri were playing video games while Cat read comic books. They mostly just sat in comfortable silence, enjoying each other's company. The boys occasionally said things to each other regarding the game they were playing.

There was a knock on the bedroom door. Eli's mom opened the door holding a pizza box and a bag of snacks. "I'm about to leave for work, so I got you guys pizza and snacks," she said.

"Thanks, mom," Eli said.

Mrs. Moskowitz set the pizza and the snacks on Eli's dresser. She said bye to the kids and left. Eli and Demetri got to the next save point in their game as Cat finished the comic she was reading. Eli got up and grabbed the pizza, Demetri set the controllers and comics to the side to be out of the way, and Cat sat up and moved back so that there was space in the middle of all of them.

The group spent the next while eating pizza and talking. They talked about school, comics, video games, and other random things. Cat told them about how a guy she knows from the skatepark showed her a new trick.

(646 words. What do y'all think?)