Rowan IX

Earlier

Rowan Lawrence was munching on a chocolate-glazed doughnut his friend had bestowed upon him as he walked into the police station. It had been around a week since he saw the government's people come into the office, and he was starting to wonder if it was a one-time thing.

"They still stop by sometimes, just to see if we've found Damian Winters yet," Rowan's Co-Worker James said when Rowan asked.

"Dammit, it's always Damian Winters this Damian Winters that, when are we gonna get over it?" he grumbled as he sat down in his chair.

"That might just be Aisling's nagging. She's always complaining that Alyssa doesn't let her go and search for him, besides her, no one else really cares anymore. All of our trails have gone cold," James answered.

"Hey, don't let Alyssa catch you saying that. She'll fire us all for slacking off," Rowan joked.

"I'd like to see her try." James snorted.

The bell rang and someone entered the office. Rowan sat up straighter as soon as he saw who entered.

"Ugh! Did you see the reports we got yesterday?! The mall and the bank both got hit. At the same time so less!" The police chief said, slamming the desk out of frustration as sheets of paper flew through the air.

"Hey Alyssa, yeah I saw the reports. Real bad." Rowan said, nervously backing away in his chair.

Alyssa Garcia looked up and glared at him.

Alyssa was the youngest police chief in the precinct. She had dark black hair that was nearly always in a ponytail so it didn't interfere with her work. She wore a navy blue police jacket with a white shirt and black tie underneath. Her firearm was safely holstered at her side while a combat knife was strapped to the side of her leg. While on the job She was somewhat aggressive and competitive but when Alyssa rarely wasn't working, she was nicer than she seemed.

"This is no time for jokes, Rowan. We now have to deal with two criminal gangs on the loose and an international fugitive!," Alyssa growled. "Three things that I don't have time for!"

Alyssa calmed down a bit and sighed, "Aisling isn't doing much. She says she's been asked by the government to do some top secret stuff, but I think it's all an excuse to go after Winters. Halden, any activity from the Blue Roses?"

"Nothin, ever since the Apostles were formed, we haven't heard a peep from them," James answered.

Alyssa scowled. "Goddammit, ever since they had that internal takeover, The Apostles have gotten bolder by the day."

"Maybe you should take a break, this is the third time you came to the office during your break time," Rowan suggested.

"Maybe," Alyssa said as she turned and walked to the office.

Rowan sighed. Over the years he had found a soft spot for Alyssa. Rowan had graduated in the same class as her at the academy, so he was closer to her than most. He had been at Alyssa's side since she was just a regular cop; climbing the ranks alongside her. The countless late nights they stayed up together had formed a close bond between the two. Eventually, Rowan had the confidence to date her and a few months later, they were engaged.

"I've been thinking, Alyssa's been pretty stressed recently. Do you think that this is a good time to ask her out for dinner?" Rowan asked James.

"I mean, it might work if you can get her in a good mood." James offered.

"Yeah, that's as easy as getting you to organize your paperwork for once," Rowan said sarcastically, gesturing at the array of scattered papers sprawled across James' desk.

"Maybe she wants a donut?" He replied as he shuffled some of the reports into a loose stack.

"I'll try that," Rowan said. He grabbed a strawberry-filled donut and wrapped it in a napkin.

"Good luck lover boy!" James called as Rowan opened the door to her office.

As he stepped in, Rowan noticed that no one was there except Alyssa and him, it was too early for any of her orderlies to be here.

Unsurprisingly, Alyssa was busy arguing with someone over the phone.

"No Aisling, you can't use the attack helicopter to track down Damian Winters," she sighed.

"Uh, Alyssa?" Rowan asked.

Alyssa spun around and her expression softened.

"Yeah?" Alyssa said as she ended the call.

"Is Aisling giving you trouble again?"

"You know how she is, recklessly going after whichever criminal she sets her sights on," Alyssa responded with a weary look on her face.

"Want a strawberry donut?" Rowan offered.

Alyssa stared at the pink donut for a moment and then accepted it.

"Thanks, Rowan. I'll call you if anything happens," Alyssa said as she walked back to her desk.

He nodded and left her office as his phone rang, it displayed a "blocked caller" contact.

"Lieutenant Rowan Lawrence here. What crimes are you committing now, Aisling?" Rowan asked casually.

"Excuse me?" Officer Aisling's voice responded from the other side.

"Nothing," Rowan said, quickly.

"Look, I need you and James to back me up at the Casino of Gods tonight." Aisling insisted.

"Why not ask Alyssa?"

"She doesn't exactly like me, and I don't think she'll approve of my plan," Aisling said.

"Then why should I come?" Rowan asked.

Aisling went quiet for a moment, then responded, "I'll cover your shifts so you get some alone time with Alyssa."

"Fine," Rowan said begrudgingly. "What's the plan?"