Percy VIII --- New York --- Percy's Home --- The Next Day

RIIINNNGGGG!!!

RRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

RRRIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

My hand instinctively swept out towards my right. The alarm clock fell off the bedside table with a jarring CRASH. Which promptly woke me up for good. I didn't have any dreams last night, which was strange. But it didn't exactly assure me, like the calm before a storm. I groped under my pillow. Whew. The pen was still there. What? You still want introductions? Fine. This for those of you that haven't been paying attention so far. My name is Percy Jackson, age eighteen, son of Poseidon. Oh, and the pen? That's my sword. Now, you"ll be asking me, "But, Mr. Percy Jackson, how can a pen be a sword?" And I answer, "Magic." No, seriously. My sword is made of Celestial Bronze, named Anaklusmos, or Riptide. Now, enough, back to the story. I picked up my alarm and looked at the label. 7:30. Wait, 7:30? My alarm was supposed to ring at 7:15! I quickly got dressed, stuck Riptide into my jeans, grabbed my backpack, and bolted down the stairs. I grabbed a blue donut and rushed outside. (I like the blue things that my mom makes.)

I stretched in the sunlight. I started walking to school and inhaled my donut along the way. When I passed a sign that read "BRAIN DART"... Wait, no, "BARGAIN MART". A girl's voice called,

"Percy."

I spun around, Riptide out of pen form, nearly decapitating Annabeth. "Oh, it's you."

"Of course it was me! When is it not?"

She had a point. Riptide shrank back into a ballpoint pen, and I stuck it back in my pocket.

"So, you didn't forget anything?" She continued, looking at me.

"What? No."

"You always forget something."

I went over what I brought in my mind. Riptide, check. Magical healing Ambrosia, check. Backpack, check.

Textbooks, check. Pencils, check. Homework, ch... Shoot.

"Forgot something, didn't you?"

"Maybe"

"Yes, you did. I can tell from your expression. What did you forget?"

"Uhh... My homework."

"Did you DO your homework?"

"Yes..."

"Are you sure?"

"Oh, shut up. you're starting to sound like my mom."

She smirked but didn't say anything.

We continued in silence, enjoying the morning. Birds flew overhead. People walked by without looking. There weren't any clouds in the sky, which was strange.

A soft, almost inaudible BOOM came from the right.

Wait...

Louder this time. I drew Riptide. Annabeth pulled out her drakon-bone sword.

CRASH! The building next to us exploded, and a phalanx of ogres barreled towards us, clubs raised. I readied my sword but noticed that they were wearing armor.

"RUN!!" screamed Annabeth, reading my mind.

We ran towards the bay, slashing down telephone poles at every opportunity. If I got lucky, they would smash a few, or just trip them. Note on ogres, they're clumsy. It slowed them down but still wasn't enough. We ran into an open park and ran out of poles to topple. Suddenly, an idea occurred to me.

"Come on! I have an idea!" I shouted.

"I hate your ideas." Annabeth retorted.

I led Annabeth towards the bay, where I was the strongest. But I wasn't going to fight. I would be obliterated in the first few seconds. I pulled her straight over the side.

Now, you're going to say, "Mr. Percy Jackson, that wasn't very nice of you, pulling your girlfriend into the bay!" But I can tell you, she's used to it.

"AH... glub" Okay. Maybe not THAT used to it.

I concentrated. I thought of all the bubbles in the bay, coming together. Soon, a shimmering sphere of air had surrounded Annabeth.

"Percy?"

I grinned. I motioned for her to follow me. But she continued acting bewildered, touching the sides of the bubble and looking around. Finally, it crossed my mind that she couldn't see. All she would be able to see is a bunch of silver.

"I'm here," I said, poking my head into the bubble.

"GAH!" She screamed, half jumping, half falling backward, almost toppling outside the bubble.

"Come on. let's get to camp."

"Good idea."

With that, I grabbed her hand and pulled her along. I had perfect bearings in large bodies of water. The larger, the better. We could see boats floating in and out of the channel. Some fish would swim close, pause, like they could sense something, and swim past. A shark started studying us, but that wasn't a problem. Turns out it wasn't studying us, but the crowd of fish that was following us. A few minutes later we popped out on the coast of Long Island, Camp Half-Blood. Annabeth tried to stand but fell backward into the surf instead. Her eyes widened. I turned around and saw what she was looking at. Monsters. We were surrounded.