First Step

Its a dreary and rainy day for a drive to the airport. The rain was pouring as Camille pulled up to the opening. Her and Larry jumped out to get his bags out of the trunk. She helped him tote some inside as he carried the bigger ones over his shoulders and in his hand. Once they got to his terminal Larry stopped and looked at the people walking in and sighed deeply. He turned to Camille, who could read his expression. She tried to smile for him to show that she was okay but it didn't work. He put one of his bags on the ground and grabbed the back of her head, bringing her lips to his. After they slowly pulled apart he could see her crying, it killed him to have to leave her but he knew he had to work. He would only hold himself back if he stayed, and besides he couldn't allow Lau to worry about him. He had already lied about where he was headed to this weekend.

C: So I guess this is you right?

L: Yea I guess....I gonna miss you babe. I love you so much know that okay?

C: Of course (hug)

L: ...here I gonna give you something.

Larry slipped off one of his skull rings and placed it on Camille's ring finger. She was surprised that he did it. She knew how much he loved his skull rings.

C: Larry your ring..I can-

L: Shh. Yes take it. I want you to keep it. Its something to remember me by till I see you again.

C: By the way when is that gonna be?

L: (laughs) ...I cant say now but. Soon maybe. Just be good girl for me till I get back.

Larry put his forehead to hers. They lifted their faces once again to kiss. He pulled away and grabbed his bags and made his way to the terminal. Soon enough he blended in with the crowd of people, and then disappeared through the doors. Camille was sad he was leaving, but she couldn't be more happier that she got the time she did with him over the weekend. It was just what she needed to get her back on track.

Wednesday. 9:00am

Camille POV

Well here I am. Downtown at the police department ready for this interview. Shit I'm so fucking nervous. I gotta chill before they see me all sweaty and kick me out. I gotta get this job. I just hope he qualifies me. Luscious is helping me get back started on school too. Part time for now, that's until I get deeper into the workfield. After that im gonna have to take online classes cause I wont have time to travel so much between work and school. Hmph look at me. Working out the difficulties of work and school at the same time. That sounds good. But I gotta get through this interview first. Oh gosh the secretary just walked out. Its time now.

W/v: Mrs. Sanders. Mr. Thortan is ready for you.

C: Okay thank you. (thoughts) '*sigh* Okay Camille, Knock-em dead.'

M: So Mrs. Sanders all of your documents are here, showing me that its all up to date. You seem pretty qualified for this job.

C: Yes sir. This has always been a goal of mine, well the main goal of mine is to be head detective of the department but ya know.

M: Well hey that can still come true! Just apply yourself. And do everything to the best of your ability.

C: Yes sir I believe that your right.

M: Okay...lets see here. Now it says here that you were a freshman at Spellman University but only for first semester. Why is that?

C: Uh..well.

Camille couldn't tell him that she dropped out to be a stripper because things got hard for her, but then again it could be possible that Luscious already told him. Then at the same time she couldn't just assume he did. Everyone knows what happens when one assumes.

M: Did you transfer? (flips through papers)

C: Uh no sir. I uh..

M: (stares)...

C: Can I be honest?

M: Please.

C: ..Sir. I hit a rough patch in my life...actually my whole life has been one rough patch. It just so happens that this one part my freshman year in college was more like quicksand in the thicket of a forest. I had been molested as a child and um..was brought up in a disrupted home. My mother was on drugs and my father a drunk..as I got into my teens I soon found myself engaging in adult and sexual behavior so bout time I reached 18. I was a pro. Then I met Luscious. He introduced me to the strip life...and that's what I have been for a long time...until last week. I have completely finished and forgotten about that part of my life and don't want to remember it. I am just focused on now, and what God has for me now..and I am hoping and praying that you will look over my past like you looked at my files. Quickly and swiftly. Sir I may not have tremendous experience, but I promise you that if you grant me this job...I will not let you down. I swear..(tear fall)..on my life I will show you what I'm made of.

Michael Thortan sat there with his hands cupped together with elbows on his desk. He then stared on at her for a few more seconds before fixing his glasses on his face and sitting back in his chair.

M: Mrs. Sanders....How early can you start?