You Stood Up For Yourself? - Ryuguji Ken

You're both 18

"Goodbye, (Y/N)." Your friend Yume says, waving.

You smile as you wave, walking out the school gate to meet your boyfriend, Draken. He was leaning against his bike, arms crossed in his chest, and he smiles when he sees you.

You give him a quick kiss on the cheek, ignoring the glances your classmates were directing to you. They knew you had a boyfriend from another school, but they didn't know he had a bike.

Or a tattoo.

Suddenly, you looked much cooler to them.

"What are we doing today?" You ask softly, his arm wrapping around your shoulders.

"Who knows?" He sits on his bike, patting the helmet in the seat behind him. He didn't wear one, but he always brought one to you. "Let's see where the bike leads us."

You smile as you sit, placing your hands around his torso.

The sound of his bike filled your world.

*

You two were walking hand in hand, chatting about trivial things. You feel light and happy, just glad to be with him.

"(L/N)?" A voice asks, and you turn slightly to the side, the direction where the voice came from.

You freeze as your eyes widen, hardly believing who you were seeing. Your grip on Draken's hand tightens, and he notices it with a slight arch of his eyebrow, but said nothing.

Aki smirks, the way she had so many times before humiliating you, before bullying you. "Oh my gosh!" She exclaims with her annoying voice. "I haven't seen you since middle school! You haven't changed much." She says, voice dripping with venom.

You hadn't seen her with two years, and yet that was the first thing she said to you.

"Is that your boyfriend?" She asks, acknowledging Draken with a gesture of her head. "I'm sorry to enlighten this to you, but I bet he's just going out with because he lost some bet, or something." She looks you up and down. "I mean, look at you. Someone like him, with someone like you?"

But she was wrong. You had changed, ever since you had met Draken. He had given you confidence, given self-esteem. He made you realize you were enough as you were.

"I can say the same about you, Aki." You affirm, chin high, looking her straight in the eyes.

"You continue to be the same snake as I remember."

At the name, Draken's eyes turn into a glare, recognizing the name. You had told him about your past. You rub your thumb in his, assuring him everything was alright.

Aki flinches slightly, her eyes widen. Had you just talked back to her? That had never happened before. "Excuse me? Have you forgotten your place, (L/N)?"

"No, I have remembered it." Defy was shining in your eyes. "You were a mean little person, and looking at you now, I can't recall why I was afraid of you in the first place."

"How dare you-"

"That uniform... is from Stars High, right? Isn't that the school that accepts pretty much everyone that applies? With no exams required?" You smile innocently, but your eyes were sharp.

Draken watches you in awe, meeting a new side of you he had never seen before. He wasn't unpleased, though.

"My school, on the other hand, only accepts the best of the best. So I guess... you are in the losing side now."

Aki was as red as a tomato, furious with your words. "And Draken is with me because he loves me." You say, leaning against his shoulder. That's when he realized you were trembling slightly. "The fact you're implying otherwise is just pitiful."

Aki was trembling with rage, gritting her teeth, and you feel immense pleasure on the fact.

"You little-" But before she could continue, you just start walking past her, pulling Draken along.

You pat her on the shoulder lightly. "Be well." You wish.

You leave her behind, never looking back. You feel your heart thrumming loudly in your ears, and you still couldn't believe what you had said to her, what you had done.

"That was badass, (Y/N)." Draken says softly, squeezing your hand.

You try to steady yourself by leaning on him. "I'm still trembling. I can't believe I stood up to Aki."

He brings your head close with his hand, and whispers in your ear. "I'm proud of you. You just made me love you even more."

You blush as you look up to his eyes, that watched you with love. You feel your heart skip a beat, and find yourself tiptoeing to reach him, kissing him on the lips. He kisses back immediately, wrapping an arm on your waist and other on your back. Seeing this new side of you made him excited, and he just wanted to kiss you over and over again.

Too soon for your taste, you pull away to breathe again. You smile warmly at the boy, tracing a finger on his cheek.

"It was thanks to you, Draken." You confess. "Being with you... gave me confidence. I'm so grateful to have met you."

His eyes widen slightly, and then he smiles, pulling you close. He lowers his head so it rests on your shoulder, and you tremble slightly as you feel his lips grazing lightly at your skin.

"I'm glad I met you too."

What are your thoughts of the end of the manga?