You Two Went On A Date? - Sano Manjiro

For this one-shot, you're both 18. And for this let's pretend Mikey didn't lose anyone, because I don't think he would say some of this stuff if that had happened.

"Paintball?" You repeat, looking at the excited boy in front of you. He nods eagerly, pointing at the poster.

"Yeah! I have always wanted to try! Let's do it, (Y/N), it'll be fun. We'll kill them all."

You scratch your cheek. "Well, I guess it could be fun-" You didn't even finish your sentence as he grabbed hold of your hand and dragged into the building to sign you up in the activity. You only laugh at his childishness.

You liked seeing him like this.

*

"Quickly, Mikey, you're too slow!" You complain as you fire at two guys, taking them out. You glance at Mikey, who was still on the other side of the barricade.

"I'm trying! They just keep on firing!"

"FIRE BACK!"

"How are you so good at this?!" He shouts over the noise. He fires his gun, but he missed. You aim at the people near him, each shot lading on its target. It creates a path for him to join you, and he does. "I thought you had never played!" He continues, breathing hard from all the running.

"I haven't." You answer, surveying your surroundings. "But I have played many videogames."

"Well, that's not what I meant-" You interrupts him when you fire to a girl approaching from his behind.

"And here I thought I was going to be the cool one." He murmurs, pouting. You smile as you quickly kiss him on the cheek.

"That's-" You see the person from the corner of your eye, closing in. You aim the gun, but you were out of ammo. The person fires and you immediately put yourself in Mikey's way, taking the paint bullets that were meant for him.

"(Y/N)!" He shouts, staring at the ink with disbelief.

"Go hide, you idiot!" You yell. "There's still hope for us if you-" You shut up as ink splatters into his own jacket.

You blink, then sigh, not caring anymore. "Let's get ice-cream. You pay."

*

"I can't believe you did that for me." Mikey says, munching on his ice-cream. "Why would you throw yourself in front of me like that?"

You shrug. "I don't know. My body moved on its own."

"Your body has weird instincts." He laughs. "You died for me, (Y/N)."

The moment he said those words, you realized how true they were. Your expression changes, and you hold one of his hands. Mikey cocks his head slightly, a curious look on his face.

"I would." You say, your voice firm, unwavering. "I would die for you, Mikey." You two had been together for years. You couldn't imagine keep on living without him, not now.

His eyes widen, and he seemed to take a quiet gasp. Could anything truly make him gasp?

He stays silent for a moment, looking at the floor, then at your hands. He grips your hand , and you notice his expression was soft. A tranquil smile danced on his lips.

"I don't want you to die for me, (Y/N)." He says, circling the back of your hand with his thumb. The movement was so light, so gentle, and yet it was enough to make your heart race. You two were so close, you could feel his breath.

"I want you to live... With me." Mikey says quietly, still rubbing your hand, before he looks up and looked at you with nothing less than love. "Let's marry."

You were so surprised by his words that you could only say, "Eh?"

He smiles at the reaction and bring your hand to his lips. "I'm not saying to do it now. We're young. And you deserve a better proposal than me full of ink and not even kneeling." He kisses your knuckles, one by one. "But I want to marry you. One day."

His lips still on your hand, he looks at you. It was surprisingly hot. "Will you marry me, (Y/N)?"

You knew it was silly to say yes. You knew many things still could happen between one proposal and the next. You knew that you two would change, and maybe you wouldn't get along the way you did now.

But he was Mikey, and you loved him, and suddenly the rest didn't matter.

You smile brightly, your eyes twinkling. "Of course I'll marry you. One day." You add, making him smile.