You Confessed To Him? - Shiba Hakkai

Inuendo for his backstory, I guess?

You had imagined a lot of things when you pictured yourself confessing to Hakkai.

Him rejecting you. Him liking you back. Him not understanding what you meant.

You never imagined he would not believe your words.

"You don't feel that way toward me, (Y/N), you're just confused." He says softly, a sad smile on his lips.

You just stare at him blinking, confusion written all over your face. "No, I'm not, Hakkai. I do like you. For a while now."

He just shakes his head softly. You were incredulous. How could he not believe you? Did he think you were playing a prank on him? You hoped not; you two had been friends for years. You were the only other girl he actually spoke to other than his sister. You always saw that as a good sign, a sign he was comfortable around you.

So how could he think you were lying?

"You're just confused." He says. "Feeling something toward another... It's not supposed to be like this."

"Like what?"

He opens his hands and moves one so he gestures to the space between you two. "This... this gentle. This kind. Love is not like that."

You were getting more incredulous the more he spoke. You really wanted to hit him right now, shake him.

"What do you even mean? I like you, I really do!" The first time had been embarrassing to say it, but now that you realized he didn't believe, you just wanted to shout until he did.

For the first time, Hakkai looks a bit hesitant, showing doubt. His eyes narrow at you, and he adopts a thoughtful expression.

"But... isn't love supposed to be painful?" He quietly asks, his arms slack at his sides. "What I feel when I'm with you... It's not like that. I feel warm, I feel safe. I feel... happy."

Your eyes widen at the realization. What one earth is his family's situation? For him to think that love is pain?

You take a deep breath, and take a few steps toward him. He was lot taller than you, so you have to look up. Your eyes shinewith determination, and you take his hand.

"Hakkai..." You say softly. "Love is... Love might bring pain, yes, but not in the way you're imagining. Love is supposed to be kind, and make you feel good. It's supposed to bring you courage and new challenges and adventures and make you feel excited." You squeeze his hand, looking hard in his eyes. "Love is not supposed to bring you constant pain, to make you afraid. That is not love."

Hakkai's eyes widen, and you watch as he gulps. His expression had changed, and you saw the conflict hidden in his eyes.

You reach out a hand and cup his cheek, smiling warmly. "I like you, Hakkai, I'm sure of it. So please believe me too."

His eyes get watery, and he grabs your other hand. "I...I want to, (Y/N). B-But I have believed otherwise for so long, I..."

"I know it'll take time. But I'll make you realize just how wrong you were. How wrong someone made you believe about what love is like."

You move to hug him, snuggling your face in his chest. You loved his scent, his whole being. And you would make him see it too.

Slowly, Hakkai wraps his long limbs around you too, gently. You felt his heart beat faster in your ear, and you smile in contempt.

You were going to help him.