He Forgot You? - Baji Keisuke

The one thing that scared you most than death, was to be forgotten.

You didn't want to leave this world and leave nothing behind. You had no children, didn't do anything major to change the world, you hadn't a legacy.

You had nothing.

You were only twenty, though.

But precisely because of that you felt the need to think of ways to leave your mark, to make something big that would leave the world in grief once your time had ended.

However, once you met him, you stopped feeling that way.

It didn't matter if everyone ignored who you were. It didn't matter that you were just like everyone else. It didn't matter if you didn't achieve anything big.

It didn't matter because in his eyes, you were special. You were what mattered to him and he would never forget you, no matter how much time passed.

"Really?" You had asked as you traced your fingers on his bare chest, your voice small, as you two laid on his bed. "You'll never forget me?"

Baji took your hand and kissed your fingers. "Never. I'll tell everyone about you, I'll write a book about you if I have to. You won't be forgotten, (Y/N)."

You smiled as you leaned to kiss him, your heart fluttering with love, feeling relieved.

But fate has a cruel way of turning things around.

"I'm sorry...But I really don't remember who you are." Baji says, scratching his neck in embarrassment.

You felt herself freeze, too shocked to move. Too shocked to say anything. You felt as if the floor had been wiped out from underneath you and you fell, fell, into a bottomless pit.

It had to be a joke.

"You don't, dear?" Baji's mother asks, concern written on her face as she leaned on his hospital bed. "She's (Y/N), your girlfriend."

Baji's eyes widen as he move his gaze to you, his mind trying hard to remember, even if it was just a tiny detail. Something, anything.

But he couldn't, and his look turned sad.

You feel tears rushing to your eyes but you fought them, and you tried to speak in a firm voice. But it trembled, and Baji hated to see you that way, even if he didn't remember you.

"I-It's alright. What m-matters is that you got out of that car accident okay." You grip your shirt. "And all other functions of your brain seem to be working well, so... if forgetting the past two years is the price..." You lower your voice to barely audible murmur. "T-Then I'll pay it. I'm just happy you're okay."

Baji's mother gave you a sad look, knowing how much you loved her son. You had gone to their house many times, eaten with them, celebrated with them. And the mother also knew how much Baji had loved you, and it pained her to see the couple now like this.

"I'm really sorry." He apologizes again.

You shake your head. "No, you don't have anything to apologize for." You walk to his bed and, after a moment of hesitation, you touch his hand.

Baji's eyes widen slightly, his skin reacting to your touch as if electricity was running through his body. It felt familiar and warm.

She... must have been truly important to me.

"You just have to concentrate on getting better!" You say, trying to sound cheerful. You grip his hand one time before letting go and walking around the bed to the exit. "I... I'll be going now. I don't want to make you uncomfortable." Since you don't remember who I am, you grimly add in your mind.

"W-Wait!" Baji pleas, raising the hand you had touched.

You turn, surprised. "Yes?"

"Will you be coming back?"

*

Baji stayed in the hospital for two weeks and each day you visited him. You brought him snacks and books and trivialities you knew he liked.

You knock on the door before entering when he allows it.

"Hi, (Y/N)!" Baji says cheerfully, a full smile on his lips.

You make a small smile, thinking of how he hadn't changed in his personality. You were glad for it.

"Hello." You raise the bag you brought and closes your eyes as you smiles. "I've brought some new volumes of your favorite manga. Oh, and this keychain the seller gave me for you when he heard of your accident. He wished a quick and healthy recovery." You place the bag on the table beside Baji and open it to see what you had bought.

His eyes twinkle. "Woah... These are truly my favorite! You know me so well, thank you (Y/N)!"

You chuckle as you turns your head away, trying to disguise the pain his words brought you. Of course you knew him - they dated for two years and you knew what he liked, what he didn't. And he knew that about you too. Had known.

You turn your head again, smiling at him and he looks up to meet your eyes. "I hope you don't cry this time with the stories!"

"I hope you don't cry this time with the stories!" A voice rang on his head. An image formed on his mind, of you wearing the exact same sweater you were wearing now, but on his room instead of the hospital. You were leaning on him as you looked at the manga he was holding.

"Don't make fun of me! I'll ask for that sweater again if you keep that on!" He says jokingly, reaching for it..

You move away, hugging her sweater with her tongue poked out. "No! You gave it to me, it's mine!"

His eyes widen as he stares at the girl in front of him. It was only a brief image, almost insignificant. Almost.

You notice the change in his expression. "What's wrong?" You ask worriedly. "Are you hurting somewhere? Do you want me to call the doctors or-"

"I gave you that sweater, didn't ?" He asks, his voice clear.

You stop, staring at him. You feel tears rushing to your eyes. It was the first time he ever recognized anything from your time together.

"Yes... You gave it to me on my birthday. I love it, it's my favorite."

Baji's eyes turn soft. "I can see why I bought it for you. You look beautiful in it, (Y/N)."