He Helped You? - Kawata Nahoya

"Can you please step away?" You ask, voice harsh and impatient, at the 3 boys who were in front of you, blocking your passage. They looked like gang members.

"Oh, but we want to meet you, cutie." One of them says, and you can smell the alcohol in his breath. Disgusting.

"What are you making that face for?" Another says loudly, words lazy with drunkenness. "You think you're better than us?!"

"I know I'm better than you lot." You sneer, gripping your bag's strap, prepared to throw it at them. It was full of books."I don't get drunk in the middle of the day or throw myself desperately at the first person I find on the street."

They flush with anger, and you feel their anger irradiating from them. Good, the more riled up, the less they think.

One of them comes at you and you rotate your bag at him, hitting right in the jaw. He scatters back, swaying, and the other jumps on you. You dodge and kick the back of his knee, making him loose his balance. You kick them both to the ground, and you start to lunge for the third when you see the glimmer in his hand. That's a broken bottle. Shit.

You falter for a moment, but that was enough for one of the gang members grab you from behind, rooting you to place. You flail and wriggle, trying to get out. But his grip was too strong.

"Now I'll teach you some manners." The guy with the broken shard steps closer, grinning with malice. "You'll be fine entertainment." You feel the panic rising, your heart accelerating. You had to escape, you had to find a way out-

"That girl is under Toman's protection." A voice says from behind the guy with the bottle. He turns around, sneering at the person who interrupted.

"Get out of here! This is between we and her."

"Oh?" He walks into the alley, stepping into a poll of light. You see his big, orange hair, the black uniform, the smile on his lips. "Really?

The gang members flinch at the new boy, suddenly looking afraid. "O-Oi, that's Smiley! He's one of Toman's captains!"

What the hell is Toman?

You didn't know what they were talking about, but a bit of hope bloomed as you saw their frightened expressions.

"I don't care who he is." The bottle guy says, turning fully to the newcomer. "I can take him on-" In a moment, Smiley's fist was on his jaw, making him fly to his right with full force. Your eyes widen at the strength.

The other boys yelp and flinch and release you. Then, they rush to their comrade, taking him up in their arms. And just like that, they were gone. What a bunch of cowards.

"Are you okay?" The orange-haired asks, still smiling.

You straighten your clothes. "Yes. Thank you for the help... Smiley?"

He nods, placing his hands on his hips. "Happy to help. Those asses are always stirring up trouble, and I like to put them in their place."

You nod, unsure of what to say. "What's Toman?"

"My gang." He answers with pride. "The most awesome and strong of Tokyo."

"Oh." You blurt out, rocking back and forth on your heels. "Nice."

"You shouldn't' have more problems here on out." Smiley affirms and you raise an eyebrow.

"Why?"

"They should pass the word that you under Toman's protection. Those who are smart stay out of the trouble."

"And those who are fools?"

His smiles broaden. "I kick their asses. Simple as that."

You don't know why, but you burst out laughing at his easy posture, his words. You had no doubt anyone who dared defy him would end up in a bad state.

"Well, then, I'm glad I'm not an enemy."

He never seemed to stop smiling. Maybe he never really did. Maybe he slept while grinning. You understood where the nickname came from.

"You are no fool. And you fight well."

You cock your head, crossing your arms in your chest. "You saw?"

"Yap. You were great. I only intervened because things were going sideways."

You nod, biting your lip. No one had ever complimented your fighting skills – according to your parents, it was unladylike, and you shouldn't do it in front of others. You shouldn't get dirty, shouldn't defend yourself.

It was ridiculous.

"Oh... Thanks."

"Well then, I'll be on my way." He waves, as he begins to turn around. "Nice to make your acquaintance."

"W-Wait!" You shout before you can think. He stops, turning his head. It was a little unnerving he was still smiling. "Can you... Can you teach me to fight like you do? I can only defend, not attack. I want to learn."

He looks as if he's considering, glancing at the sky. Then he gazes back at you, and you could swear his smile was at its biggest. "I don't even know your name."

You blink before you smile back. "And I don't know yours."

"I think we'll make a great pair."