You Spent Christmas Together? - Matsuno Chifuyu

A little early, but today is Chifuyu's birthday, so there is no other way to celebrate!

You stare at the giant Christmas tree in the middle of the square, decorated with red and gold, a massive star on top of it, twinkling. Beautiful.

Your breath forms little cloud in front of your face, and you snuggle into your scarf, hands in pockets.

Then, you feel a tap on a shoulder and you look in its direction. But you saw no one. Then, from the other side, came the voice.

"Got ya!" He says happily, and you turn your head again. Chifuyu was smiling brightly, cheeks and nose red from the cold.

You make a small smile. "Ah ah, you're so funny."

He steps to your side, your arms touching. You move your eyes to the tree again.

"What's wrong?" He asks-

You shake your head lightly. "It's nothing."

He bumps his arm with yours gently. You knew he was looking at you, but your eyes remained on the tree. "It's something. Tell me." He asks softly.

You sigh and you glance at him. "It's just... I love Christmas. The light, the music, the whole environment. But, I don't know, I just feel like... like now that I'm growing up, I'm not supposed to the things I liked to do as a kid. I guess..." You try to find the words. "I guess this time of the year just makes me wish I wasn't growing. That I could stay a child forever."

There was silence for a moment. From the corner of your eye, you could see he was now looking at the tree as well.

"Well," He starts softly. "I can't make you stop growing up. But I can make you feel like a kid again!" Before you could reply, he grabs your hand and starts walking.

*

You laugh as you skate clumsily, your hands gripping his tightly. He was in front of you, guiding you through the frozen ring.

"You're getting better." Chifuyu praises, smiling.

You slip then, falling into his chest. You giggle. "I don't feel like it."

He wraps his arms around you. "Hmm, if you fail like this, then I don't mind." You slap his chest jokingly, and pull away, giving small slides by yourself.

"Don't get too used to it, I'm already getting the hang of it-" Suddenly you were falling, and you brace yourself for the impact. You couldn't regain your balance, you were not on your feet!

You fall on your butt, hard, and you groan. Thankfully, you were thick-clothed, and the fabric had softened the impact. But it still hurt a bit, and you massage the end of your back.

You catch movement and in a second Chifuyu was there, by your side, an arm around you.

"Are you okay?" He asks, concerned roving over you for any sign of injury, helping you getting up. "I'm sorry, I should have held your hand, I should..."

He continued apologizing but you didn't hear the words. You forgot the pain as you stared at him, suddenly feeling emotional. Chifuyu had taken you to the carrousels, even when only children were there; he had taken to talk to the elves that served Santa, and to Santa himself (but you didn't sit on his lap; that would be too much). He had bought cookies for you two to share, participated in a contest to win a stuffed bear (he didn't, but you felt happy anyway). And he had taken you to the ice ring, to teach you how to skate.

You feel so grateful, so happy, so... so...

"I love you, Chifuyu."

He stops talking, gazing into your eyes with the surprise on his own. It was the first time you had said the words aloud. He was red, but you were sure it wasn't only from the cold. You smile at the sight.

Then Chifuyu's expression softens, and he leans to touch your forehead with his.

"I love you too, (Y/N). So much." Then he lowers his head, kissing you on the lips. You hand travels to his cold cheek, kissing him back. You feel happy, excited, a rush of emotions.

He pulls away after a few moments, and it was really cute how embarrassed he was. He then reaches into his pocket and takes out a small box.

"I was planning to give this to you after, but... but now it seems like a good time." He laughs quietly, and you fall in love all over again.

He opens the box, and your breath fails you as you look at the necklace. A gold and silver four-leaf clover was strapped to it, twinkling in the light. You look up, eyes wide, only to find him smiling, blushing slightly.

"I hope you like it. I wasn't sure if-" You throw your arms around him, nearly knocking him over. You smile brightly as you say in his ear:

"I love it! Thank you so much!" Before he could reply, you pull your face away, and lean in, kissing him on the lips.

He was caught off guard, but then kissed back, and you feel his smile against your lips.

Maybe growing old isn't that bad, if I'm with him.

And how is this possible, I cannot understand