You Saw Him Again? - Baji Keisuke

Happy Halloween!

You were walking between the graves, reading names after names. Some tombs had photos near the stone, others flowers and ornaments.

Your feet knew where to go, the path you were taking had been walked many times. Occasionally you would touch the cold graves, give a quick prayer to all the souls that had left this world.

You didn't know why you came on this night. Spending Halloween on a graveyard seemed a terrible idea, but you just found yourself waling towards it. Plus, it wasn't like any of those horror movies were real, you wouldn't find a murderer or a ghost.

But it did seem creepier in the night, so you rush your steps.

You stop at his tomb, and you crouch, reading his name again and again. You sigh, placing new flowers, and then join your hands together, praying. You prayed a lot for him. He had been kind and good, but he did get into a lot of fights, caused injuries and pain. You prayed that wherever he was, he was in a good place.

"I wasn't that bad." A voice says from behind, and you quickly turn around, fists raised in case of a fight.

But you freeze, a strangled gasp escaping from your mouth. Your eyes widen, your heart stops, and you start to tremble.

It isn't possible.

"W-Who... Keisuke?" You ask, disbelief laced on your voice.

He grins, and your heart felt as if it was being crushed. You had missed his grins so badly.

"Yeah. I would say in the flesh, but that's not exactly right."

Hesitant, you get up, leaving distance. This could be a trick. A prank. A dream.

"You're... You're not here." You stutter. "I'm hallucinating."

His grin turns soft. "You're not hallucinating, (Y/N). Today is Halloween, the day where the line that divides the living and the dead disappears. The day we're allowed to roam around."

That was too much to absorb, to understand, so you just decide to think about it later. "B-But how? Why are you here?"

He gestures to his surroundings. "It's weird. I sort of felt as if someone was here and I came. And I found you."

"Can I touch you?" You blurt before you could think twice.

He smiles, eyes shining. "Yeah. We have a physical body of a sort."

Slowly, ever so slowly, you reach a hand, wanting so badly to believe him. When your fingers graze his cheek, feeling his warmth, you can't control yourself anymore, and in a moment, you were embracing him tightly.

Tears rush down your cheeks as you hugs you back. "Keisuke, I m-miss you so much. I have hole in my heart and it hasn't h-healed."

He smooths your hair gently. "I know." And he did. He knew you had come to his grave every week, sometimes even twice, for the past year. Sometimes you would just stare at the grave in silent, sometimes you would weep, sometimes you would talk.

"Where are you?" You ask as you pull away, wiping the tears, his arms on your waist. "I mean, where have you been for the past year?"

He grins. "Sorry, (Y/N), but that's something I literally am unable to tell you. Even if I tried, it would just sound like random sounds to you."

You nod distractedly, almost not caring, feeling too overwhelmed by everything. You focus on admiring his face. You had been worried you had forgotten features of his face, but he was still as you remembered.

You cup his cheeks with both hands. Then you lean in, kissing him softly. You feel his hand on the back of your neck, pulling you closer. You had missed this, his kisses, his embrace, his warmth. So badly you almost couldn't handle it.

You two sit at a nearby bench, and just talk and talk while cuddling, while kissing, while doing whatever you wanted.

I can't believe I got this opportunity. Now that I know, I can always see him again.

You didn't feel the time passing. The only clue was when you saw the dark sky starting to glow gold.

Halloween was ending.

You were leaning on his body, his head atop yours, fingers intertwined with yours. "You'll disappear?" You softly ask, watching the sky.

"Yeah." He says, voice deep. "I'll vanish, but not in a moment. I think it's gradual."

"I'll come back next year." You say casually, looking up at him. "And the year after. We'll have more chances than I ever thought we would, and that is marvelous. A miracle."

Baji smiles sadly. Why is he sad? He kisses you one more time on the forehead, then on the nose, and at last on the lips, lingering there, before he pulls away. Then, he touches his index and middle finger together, and brings them to your forehead.

You frown in confusion, and then your mind seemed to slow down. Your thoughts disappear, a blank space. You can't hear, you can't see. You were just there, but not really.

"You won't remember this night, (Y/N)." Baji says, tone soft, the sad smile still there. "That's the price I have to pay. And you won't know, but I'll make you feel like you had closure with me. I love you too much to condemn you to a life where you don't move on, where you keep visiting me constantly. That's not healthy." He cups a cheek, gazing at your empty eyes.

"I know you love me. I know you're in pain. That's why I'll do this."

Then he pulls the fingers on your forehead back, and you slump forward, his arms catching you. He gently lays you on the bench, and then lingers a moment longer, absorbing your image.

The first rays of sunlight begin to appear. He looks down, watching in wonder as his body starts to vanish.

"I love you." He whispers as he disappears completely.

You slowly open your eyes when the light reaches you, rubbing them as you sit up. You take in your surroundings, your thoughts all jumbled up.

Did I sleep on the graveyard? Why? That's not creepy at all.

You rise and start walking, taking out your phone and flinching as you see all the missed calls from your parents. Just great.

You stop at his tomb and say a last prayer. And you feel surprised, for the first time in a year, you don't feel the need to come back.

As if a chapter had been closed.