You Weren't His First Choice? - Mitsuya Takashi

You're both in high school.

You knew first loves didn't go away easily.

You knew that because you couldn't imagine anyone ever topping Mitsuya. He was kind, strong, knew how to sew. He was your first love.

But you weren't his.

His first love was a girl called Aki, who had been friends with him in middle school. Apparently, he felt more than that towards her, but she didn't feel the same.

And so his life moved on, he got into high school, and met you. Your enthusiasm and kindness and determination made their way to his heart, and he found himself falling for you. And you feel for him.

You two were dating now, but you knew he hadn't forgotten Aki. You saw it in the way he looked at you, as if you had shortcomings compared to the way she would act. Sometimes he would look into the void, and you knew he was thinking about her. He told stories shared with a friend and, though he never said it, you knew Aki was that friend. You knew from the way he smiled when he told the stories, the way his eyes shone.

But that was okay. You were sure that with time, he would only think of you.

He had to.

*

You thought you would only ever be interested in Mitsuya. The thought of liking someone else was unconceivable, it never crossed your mind, because you were happy with the silver-haired boy.

But you realized just how little you were getting from Mitsuya when you met Chifuyu. He was like the Sun, always bright, always shining. He smiled easily, fought for his friends, was loyal, and had always been there for you. He had showed you kindness from the first moment, and sometimes you two would chat and go home together from school.

You found yourself looking forward to those little moments because his attention was all on you. There was no one else there for you to compete with. No comparisons. No one to top over. There was only you and him, and it felt great.

But you feel terrible, because you became to look forward with more enthusiasm to see Chifuyu rather with your own boyfriend. So, you tried to work even harder on your relationship.

"Ne, Mitsuya, let's go to an amusement park."

"Let's go the beach!"

"Let's go eat some ice-cream, they are delicious."

Every time he would say yes, and every time you two went out together you felt the presence of Aki looming over you both. And then you would wonder what Chifuyu was doing, and that just made everything worse.

Until it finally came one day when you decided it was enough. You weren't being fair to Mitsuya. He deserved someone who would think only of him - but then you wonder: can he really take on a relationship right now? When his heart still belonged to someone else?

Maybe yes. Maybe not.

"Ne, Mitsuya." You call him, watching him from across the table, where he was making some designs. "Kiss me."

He looks up at you, raising an eyebrow, a half-grin on his lips. "Oh?" He moves closer, sitting beside you. "And what has brought this on?" He whispers, cupping your cheek.

You force a smile. "Can't I want a kiss from by boyfriend?"

Instead of answering, he closes the gap between you two, kissing you slowly. You kiss back, wanting that burning feeling you used to feel, that quick heartbeat. But you feel nothing, and sadness courses through your body.

He pulls away, sensing something wasn't right. "Hey," He says, voice soft. "What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry, Takashi." You look away. "But I don't think we can be together anymore."

His eyes widen, mouth opening in surprise. "What? Why?"

You smile sadly, clenching your fists. "Because you don't love me the way I want you to, and I... I have come to love someone else."

Your words a punch to his gut, a blow to his heart. Mitsuya felt out of breath, as if the floor had been wiped from beneath his feet. He didn't understand. You two were- are happy, your got along perfectly, you had healed his heart.

How come you were saying those things? You said you loved him with all your heart – and now you were saying you loved someone else? How was that possible?

"I do love you, (Y/N)." He says, voice serious. He tried to hide the panic. "You know I do."

You nod. "I do. But I know that you also love Aki dearly, as if she still might come back to you." He opened his mouth to speak, but you continue. "And that's not your fault, I don't blame you, I really don't. I know it's not easy to forget first loves." You sigh with a sad expression. "But I have met someone else who irradiates joy when he's with me, and I have come understand that that is how I should have felt all this time with you."

Mitsuya stays silent, completely shocked. That was how you had been feeling all this time? You had been struggling all on your own? You felt you weren't enough?

"I... I never meant to make you feel that way. I didn't... didn't know." He murmurs, curling his fists on his sweat.

"I know." Your toe was comprehensive, you had to come to accept it. "You are a wonderful person, Takashi, and you deserve to be happy. But first, you must move forward from Aki before seeing someone else. It isn't fair for you or for that person."

You get up, taking your bag, and he gets up as well, looking lost and confused. Your heart wrenches at the sight of it, the love your had for him still there. But it was a different kind of love now – the love you hold for a dear friend.

"I will always be here if you need anything." You take a step and kiss his cheek. "I truly wish you can be happy."

You wave then and get out of his room, seeing yourself out.

You leave behind a broken-hearted boy, who felt the tears on his skin before he even knew he was crying.