He Was A Firebender? - Ryuguji Ken

ATLA AU

"Oh, come on!" Draken groans as he watches another stone crack beneath his hands.

"Woah, you really suck at it." Mikey says, sucking on a lollipop.

"Shut up!" Draken yells, reaching for another gem. "This time I'll get it right."

"If you say so."

Draken furrows his eyebrows in concentration, carefully picketing the forms of water. His stone was already done, shining in the afternoon light. But yours... yours was difficult to make. It was necessary skill and patience, and as the more attempts ended on failure, the patience part was starting to run out.

The stone broke again, and he throws the remains against the wall.

"Damn it!" He places his hands on his head, rubbing it frantically. "Does this mean the gods don't want us together?! Why in the world I keep on failing on doing her necklace?!"

He's freaking out. Mikey thinks as he gets up. He walks to Draken, and pats his back in a comforting manner. "The gods don't care if you fail on making a necklace." Mikey says, sitting next to him. "You're just nervous. You are going to ask (Y/N) to marry you, that's not a little thing."

Draken glances at Mikey before his eyes stop on the last gem he had brought. "What if..." His voice was barely audible. "What if she says no?"

Mikey bursts out laughing, and Draken smacks him. "Hey!"

"Of course she's going to say yes." Mikey says when he manages to calm a little. "She loves you like crazy."

Draken quiets then, watching his friend he considered a brother. Then his shift to the last gem, and determination steels his will.

He reaches out for the stone and starts working.

*

"Woah!" The kids say in awe, as you waterbend some water in majestic gestures. You loved the feeling it gave you, to feel the flow of the water within you. It always calmed you.

You giggle as you continue your performance, delighting the kids who had gathered.

"You think I can become a master like you?" A little girl asks when you finish. "I'm an earthbender, though... I wish I was like you, water looks much more awesome."

You smile as you pat her head. "Earth is strong as well. It's all around you, and I'm sure that if you become good enough, you will be able to use it graciously as well. I'm looking forward to it."

The girl's eyes twinkle, and then she bows and leaves with the others, squealing excitedly and talking about the future.

Suddenly, you feel arms around your waist, a chin placed on the crook of your neck. You make a lazy smile as you reach out a hand to touch Draken's head.

"Hi." He murmurs into your skin. The movement of his lips on your body made you shiver slightly. "The kids looked very entertained."

"I'm just happy they liked."

He hums, grip still strong on your waist, and you lean back, enjoying his warmth. Things were changing for the benders, with new politics and conditions to use the powers, and that was taking a toll on you - for you loved to bend freely, without rules, just doing what you wanted.

With everything changing, he was the only constant, and you feel blessed to have him by your side.

You two chat for a while, before Draken says he wants to take you somewhere. You raise both eyebrows, curious, and held his hand as he guided through a forest, passing rocks and sticks, and animals who peered at you with shiny eyes.

Finally, you arrive at a cliff, the landscape breathtaking: enormous rivers flowing, the green mountains showing signs of the upcoming autumn, the sky blue, with some white clouds scattered about.

"It's beautiful." You whisper, and the wind carries your words.

"(Y/N)." Draken calls from behind, and you turn around. His posture was changed: he stood straighter, hands curled by his side, his gaze unwavering.

"I'm..." He made a face, as if he was trying to remember something. Then he throws his hands into the air. "Arrgh, of course I had to forget everything I wrote." He shakes his head. "Well, I was never good with words anyway."

Before you could say anything, he goes down in one knee, and your eyes widen, realization hitting you hard. Is he gonna...?

Draken reaches into his pocket, taking out an object. Then he reaches his hand toward you, and you see the necklace he held: two round stones connected in a perfect puzzle, one red, one blue, each with the engravings of their elements. A golden strap was linking the necklace together.

Your hands fly to your mouth, and feel your heart beating quickly, anticipating his words.

"I had a whole speech prepared." He starts, looking up at you with soft eyes. "About how you make my life complete, how I cannot imagine living without you by my side. But I forgot most of it." He laughs quietly, and you laugh lightly as well. "So, I'm just going to say how I feel right now." Draken takes a quick breath. You had never seen him looking so... so nervous. "I love you, (Y/N). I never really expected to feel this way toward anyone, but you just wrecked that thought. I want us to be together for the rest of our lives - and I know marriage isn't necessary for that. But... But I want to marry you." His eyes were shining, and you think he never looked more handsome than he did now. "Gods, I want to marry you so bad. I want everyone to know you're taken by me. So..." He lifts the hand holding the necklace, that was shining the in Sun's light. "Will you marry me, (Y/N)?"

In a quick movement, your arms were around him, squeezing him tightly against you. "Of course I'll marry you!" Your voice was a bit choked. "I love you too, Draken. I want us to be wed."

You feel his hands wrapping around your back. "Then let's make this official."

He pulls away, a happy smile on his lips, and lifts the necklace. You push your hair to one side, letting him place it on your neck. You touch the cold gem, wondering why it felt like the most beautiful jewel you had even seen.

You turn around, and Draken blushes lightly at the view of you, wearing the jewel he had worked so hard on.

"I love it." You say, smiling, as you caress the gems.

Draken leans in, capturing your lips with his own. He kisses you passionately, letting all his emotions overflow. He only hoped you understood just how much you meant to him - he was never good with words, he preferred actions.

He then starts kissing your jaw, moving down to your neck, ever so slowly. You gasp as you feel his tongue running over your skin, and you wrap an arm around his back for support. It feels so good, you love him so much, it was-

When you feel him starting to slide the short sleeve off your arm, the air hitting you gently, you smile, and kiss him behind his ear, wanting nothing but to continue to feel like this for the rest of your life.

Any Zutara shippers out there?

(and yes, I do love Aang)