He Lost Himself? - Sano Manjiro

He was losing himself more and more each day, and there was nothing you could do to stop it.

You watched helplessly as he became void of feeling, lost in his grief. New and old.

You watched him go away, getting on his bike and not returning after hours. The only person he was actually talking to was Draken. You were a bit happy he still checked in with someone, but disappointed that it wasn't with you.

You were his girlfriend, after all.

But you understood his circumstances, even if you didn't know how it felt like. You gave him space, you gave him time, you gave everything he needed.

But it didn't look like it was doing much, not when he would stare at you with empty eyes.

One day, he just stopped calling and messaging. You understood his intent.

And you cried and cried, from sadness, and for anger at yourself for not being able to help him.

*

The new year had come and gone, and you hadn't spoken to Mikey. You had send a message for the holiday, but he didn't reply. Draken told you he was healing. Slowly, but healing nevertheless.

You were so lost in your thoughts you didn't notice you were surrounded until you hard a man's voice.

"Hey, aren't you Mikey's girl?" He asks, and you look up. He looks so lame.

You make a forced smile, counting them. There were six of them, all around the age of 16.

"That's not your business, bastard." You say with a sweet smile now.

His expression changes to one of anger. "Hey-"

"I think it's her." Another one says, eyeing up and down. You wanted to punch him. "I have seen them together many times. Cuddling, kissing, even more than that." He says in a proud tone, a smug expression on his face.

The hell is that look for? We haven't done anything beyond kissing, you jerk, stop looking so proud of your lies.

And those times have ended.

"Let's beat her up." One says, stepping closer, his tongue licking over his lips. You try very hard not to roll your eyes.

"Yeah, that will send a message to Mikey." Another says, cracking his knuckles.

Is that supposed to scare me? Idiots.

"But before let's have a little fun with you, shall we-" Before the one who looked like the leader could finish his sentence, you draw your arm back, and then swing your fist with full force onto his face. You barely felt the contact as you turn around and kick two others in their stomach, then jump quickly onto the next, both feet knocking him over. You look up, eyes wild and threatening, to the remaining delinquents. You don't deserve that title.

They were gaping at you, shocked and afraid. You make a 'boo' sound so aggressive, it had them running in the opposite direction.

You smirk as you get up, cleaning your hands onto the backs of the fallen, watching them all unconscious. It would be better to leave them in some bushes. They can be robbed if left like this.

"I always knew you didn't protection." A familiar voice says from behind you, and you feel your body freeze. It had been so long the last time you had heard his voice.

You don't turn. "It's been a while." You manage to say, trying to keep your voice even. If you turned, he would see the unshed tears, and you didn't want him to.

You hear his steps, one by one, growing closer to where you were standing. A breeze came along, and you realize he was close enough for you to smell his scent.

Your heart started beating like crazy. "Indeed." He says softly.

"Thank you, (Y/N)." Mikey says.

"For what?"

"For giving me time." You hear a rustling sound, and you pictured him scratching the back of his head. "I... I was in a bad place after... after everything. And I needed to think."

"You don't need to thank me, Mikey." You say, clenching your fists. "You know I would do anything for you."

He stays silent for a moment. "I missed you, (Y/N)." Your eyes widen. "When I was alone, thinking on everyone I have lost... That was when I missed you the most. And when I realized I can't lose you too." You feel him move, wrapping his arms around you. Your breath fails you as you feel him snuggling his face into the crook of your shoulder, nose inhaling your scent.

"Mikey... I..." You were having a hard time focusing. You had missed this, his warmth, his touch, him.

"Forgive me for leaving." He whispers, his grip tightening.

You clench your fists, steel your determination. You turn around in his arms, and look up to his face. What you saw made your heart ache: Mikey had his eyes watery, his expression was so sad.

You reach both hands to cup his face, wiping away some rebellious tears. You make a warm smile through your own. "There's nothing to forgive, Mikey. I love you."

His eyes widen and you feel slightly tremble under your touch. Then, he leans in, eyes closing, kissing you on the lips. You hesitate for a just a second before closing your own eyes, savoring the moment. Your heart was floating due to his kiss - it was so gentle, so soft. He had never kissed you like this. Between you two was always like a flame; now it felt like the spark that originates the fire.

After a few moments, you pull away, and run your hands through the hairs near his forehead, watching him, memorizing his features.

He makes a small smile, and your heart leaps from your chest. I haven't seen him smile in weeks.

"I love you, (Y/N)."