Do Right

You too proud to see that you hold the blame from all that playin', nigga, we too old for games – J Cole
••••••

Dave

I went home after leaving the NICU. It wasn't that I wanted Karen to hate a nigga. It was that I wanted to be sure. There was nothing wrong with wanting to make sure that my child was my child because the math wasn't mathing. I sat outside on my porch staring at the picture of the baby. It just didn't make sense. Hearing a car break real hard then a car door slam I looked up to see one of the homies a nigga was close with.

"Jay, whatchu doing here nigga?" I asked, putting my phone down

"Nah, the real question is fuck you doing here nigga? Why you not at the hospital?" Jay asked.

"Ion have no reason to be there foo."

"Mane, shut yo dumbass up. Twinkie called a nigga and told me everything. What the fuck you think you doing?" Jay asked.

Rubbing my chin, I realized if Twinkie told him everything that would mean he knew about the conversation Karen and I had and about me wanting a DNA test. I decided to play dumb just to see if I was right.

"Ion know what you talkin' bout bruh." I said.

"Oh, you don't know what I'm talking about? You don't know what the fuck I'm talking about? I'm talking about the fact that you being a pussy ass nigga and ain't manning up to your fucking responsibilities. Who fucking are you to question Karen when she ain't been nothing but a good ass woman to you. That's yo fucking child bruh." Jay said, flaring his nostrils.

"Bruh, how you gon' come over here and tell me what the fuck I need to do when I ain't have my memory for six damn months. We wasn't together for like six months and during that time-"

"Bruh, let me tell you something that yo dumbass seemed to have forgotten... you slept with Karen three months before Thanksgiving and a few days after she go get a surgery only to find out that she was two months pregnant with a son that YOU fucking wanted make that shit make sense, nigga. As for his eyes being light green and hazel did you forget about your damn brother that was given away at birth?" Jay asked.

I stood there speechless and silent as I stared at him making him speak again.

"Why you looking at me like you ain't know?" Jay asked.

"That's because I ain't know nigga. What the fuck? Ion believe that shit."

"If you don't believe me ask yo sister." Jay said.

"I would ask Malaysia, but I can't find her ass. I been calling her and ain't been getting no fucking response." I said.

"Damn, I wonder where she could be but that's not the point. The point is that I'm telling the truth."

"Aite, it's only one way to find out." I said, going into my kitchen.

Jay followed in after me as he watched me open a drawer and grab a butcher knife. Jay scrunched his face up as he looked at me.