•3• First 48 Hours

Even when you started acting like a fool, somehow I always end up falling back for you – Queen Naija
•••••••

Karen

Waking up fully, I saw Kendasha come back into the room and Kierra and Khari began to walk out the door.

"Bye, mama. We'll be back. We're going to go see our little brother." Khari said.

"Okay, Kenny where's your father?" I asked, stretching a little trying not to hurt myself.

"I'm not sure. He was behind me when we walked out of the NICU and I heard his footsteps behind me when I was walking back but the closer I got to the door the more those steps faded."

Hearing Kendasha's words, I grabbed my phone off the table near my bed and dialed Dave's number. He phone rang then went to voicemail making me call him a few more times. The last two times I called his phone didn't even ring it went straight to voicemail letting me know that he was declining my calls. Seeing the look of distress on my face Twinkie looked at me.

"Karen, what's wrong?"

"Dave's not answering my calls." I said.

"Maybe his phone died. Don't jump to conclusions and don't get yourself worked up. Focus on your son and your healing process."  Twinkie said.

Taking my phone out my hand, Kendasha sat it back down on the table as she held my hand.

"Mama everything is going to be okay. Just relax." Kendasha said.

I held her hand as I looked around the room. Not seeing Jacky or Dorinda I looked at Twinkie.

"Twinkie, where are Jacky and Dorinda?" I asked.

"Umm.... about that. Don't get worked up, but Dorinda went into labor early. Smoke was in a really bad car accident. He was hit head on and they left him there for dead."

"Oh my God...." I said, feeling my heart beat fast in my chest.

"Relax." Kendasha said, holding my hand.

"He's in critical condition. Jacky went to be with her and I stayed here with you, but I've already sent prayers up for both of them. A lot is happening right now but everything is going to be fine like Kendasha said."

My heart began to break hearing the news of Maurice. He was a good guy and Dorinda loved him to death. I couldn't understand who would do this to him. Dorinda loved Smoke the way that I loved Dave. So, I knew that this was hard for her.

"Do they have any idea on who did that to him?" I asked.

"Not yet, but the police have opened up an open investigation on the matter and said they will let Dorinda know something as soon as they find out something." Twinkie said.

I heard my phone ring before I could say anything else. Hoping that it was Dave I answered the phone without checking the caller I. D.

"Hello? Dave?" I asked.

"No, it's Arya. Hi, I'm sorry that I didn't call you sooner. I got held up with my sister and my father."

"No need to apologize, Arya. I just had a baby and I'm in the hospital so I won't be able to meet up with you after all. Thank you for helping me out that day. I appreciate everything you did for me. I'm going to focus on myself and my baby for now. Thank you again." I said, ending the call.

"That was Arya, huh?" Twinkie asked.

"Yes, but I just sent her on her way so we can be friends but I don't think I'll be dating her. I just need to focus on trying to get myself together mentally and physically. I wish Dave would call me back he's not answering."