Believe

Lan Zhan heard everything that Healer Fu was saying, half-heartedly. The fact that his Wei Ying was lying unconscious in the infirmary because of suffering unimaginable pain of soul energy transfer was enough to bring him down on his knees and beg all the forces of the universe to show some mercy on his Wei Ying for he had suffered enough.

More than enough. 

And not just for one lifetime but many more.

Why always his Wei Ying had to suffer so much? Why always his Wei Ying had to go through such unbearable pain emotionally, physically and mentally? Just what was wrong with the universe?

And now what? After making him experience such blood-curdling pain, he is soul-bonded to a baby that isn't even his own?! The baby whose life and death will depend entirely on his Wei Ying?! Should he feel happy about it? Does the universe think that his Wei Ying will feel happy knowing that the baby will recognise him as his mother instead of his real mother? Do they think Wei Ying will feel happy snatching someone else's child, someone else's happiness? Especially when that person is his other self who already lost everyone dear to him and is now stuck in a foreign world?!

There were already many questions that Lan Zhan needed answers to such as why even after being a lover, although a silent one, he never knew that his Wei Ying was terrified of dogs?! 

Why he didn't know his Wei Ying was abused by Madam Yu or the ordeal his Wei Ying suffered in the cell of Qishan indoctrination? 

Why he didn't know his Wei Ying had transferred his golden core to someone and had to suffer the tragedy of burial mounds without it? 

Why he didn't know just how and under what circumstances his Wei Ying had to resort to using Resentment energy?

Wasn't it already enough to make him feel unworthy and undeserving of his Wei Ying? Weren't there already enough mysteries for him to solve that now the universe added more? Just why the universe is being so so unfair to his Wei Ying? 

His Wei Ying is too fragile to suffer any more emotional and mental stresses then why the hell universe keeps on adding more to his already humongous burden?

....our Wuxian wakes up, is it alright with you Hanguang Jun?"

"Mn?!"

"Wangji, Healer Fu said that he wants to observe Axian's health tonight as we are all unaware of the repercussions of soul energy transfer. In the absence of the golden core, it might be hard for Axian to handle any unpleasant situation. And once he wakes up, we can continue our discussion and decide what will be the best course of action from now on. Is it alright with you if Axian stays in the infirmary tonight?"

"No."

"Hanguang Jun-"

"NO!" Lan Zhan glared at Healer Fu and his Xiongzhang before gently picking up his Wei Ying in his arms and leaving the infirmary

Lan Zhan didn't remember how he came back inside Jingshi, he didn't remember when he gave his Wei Ying a massage, fed him, played Clarity for him, bathed him, dressed him in his night robes and laid him on their bed, tucked safely inside their soft, warm and thick blanket. All those activities were nothing but a blur in his memories because his mind was filled with the memories of yesterday. As if yesterday was just a beautiful dream. As if his Wei Ying never really woke up from his deep sleep. As if his Wei Ying never accepted him as his cultivation partner, never confessed their feelings to each other, never loved...

Lan Zhan hugged his Wei Ying tightly in his arms, hid his face in the crook of his Wei Ying's neck and cried silently, too scared to face the next morning as if yesterday never really happened. It wasn't until Lan Zhan felt his Wei Ying squirm in his arms, heard him grumble about hugging him too tightly and felt him biting his neck in an attempt to make loosen his tight grip, sleepily, that Lan Zhan finally stopped crying, breathed a sigh of relief and fell asleep with a small smile on his face.