Chapter Fifty-One

Ella (Mommy) POV:

My feet are throbbing by the time I get to sit down on my lunch break. The emergency room has been extremely busy today. I haven't even had time to check my phone. It's been buzzing nonstop in my pocket for the better part of an hour.

Grabbing the annoying device, I tap the screen and see dozens of texts and missed calls from Autumn. My heart plummets; a million scenarios running through my head all at once.

I call my wife back without checking any of the texts. There's no time to if this is an emergency.

The first thing I hear when she picks up is the sound of Mina's soft sobs. She sounds distressed.

"What's wrong?" Are the first words that come out of my mouth.

"Have you read any of the texts I sent you."

I shake my head even though she can't see it. "No. I called you as soon as I got on my break. Now tell me what's wrong."

"We were at the cafe down the road getting something to eat for lunch. Mina was watching something on my phone. I stepped away for a couple seconds to throw away our trash, and when I came back Mina's mom was there.

"She had a couple choice words to say to our baby. I kind of lost my cool and spit on her. Mina's been crying ever since. I can't get her to stop. I'm on my way home now. There was no way I could get any work done with her upset like this."

That poor excuse of a woman finally decided to come out of hiding, and the first thing she did was accost my baby? Oh hell no. She's doesn't have any idea who she's messing with.

My only question is did she follow Autumn and Mina, or did she just walk into that cafe out of pure coincidence? If it's the prior, then I'm going to have my lawyer put in place a restraining order.

I might just do that either way.

"Is there any way you can get off early and come home? Mina's been asking for you."

"I'll see what I can do. I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to get off early," I sigh, resting my elbows on my knees, "I doubt they would let me take more time off, babe."

"It's okay if you can't. I'm going to try and nurse her and see if she'll take a nap."

"Mommy?" I hear my baby girl whimper.

Autumn must have the phone on speakerphone while she drives.

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"You come home?" Her voice wobbles, further serving to break my heart.

"I'll be home in a little bit, baby. Mommy has to get some work done. When I get home, I'll give you lots and lots of cuddles. How does that sound?"

Mina sniffles again, a new round of tears starting. Her high pitched cries are like a knife to my heart. I have to stay strong. As much as I would like to rush home and gather my baby in my arms, I have to keep this job.

"Do you want some McDonald's, sunshine? We just had some lunch, but I know you love your milkyshakes." My wife bribes.

"Noooo," She wails, "I want you boobie."

"Alright. We're almost home. You can have some boobie then."

"And Clifford?" Mina's cries are slowly starting to stop as she talks.

"Clifford can come too. He's not getting anywhere near my boobies, though." Autumn laughs slightly, the sound welcome after listening to Mina's pitiful cries for the past ten minutes.

"I'm pulling up to the house now, so I'm going to let you go. See you when you get off of work, love."

"See you when I get home. Love you girls."