Chapter Forty-Eight

(Chapter inspired by @CordonianQueen Thank you for your chapter suggestion! Feel free to leave more on my page or in the comments!)

Autumn (Mama) POV:

I'm the slightest bit tipsy as I walk through the door. Ella and I's date night was fantastic. We went to a nice restaurant, had some dinner, then went on a walk in the park. It was fantastic. Plus, we didn't get a phone call from Mina, so we know she had a good time.

Our parents probably loaded her up on sugar, though. My suspicions are confirmed when we walk into the living room to find Mina jumping on the couch. She has a handful of Twizzlers in her left hand, her right holding several cheese cubes.

The sight sobers me instantly.

My father is standing there, encouraging everything with a big smile on his face. They haven't even noticed us yet.

"Don't tell Mama and Mommy that I let you jump on the couch." He warns.

Mina nods, taking another bite of her candy. Based on the bowls in the living room, I can tell she's already had ice cream. There's also a plate with two, half eaten dinosaur nuggets. I don't even want to get started about the popcorn kernels spilled on my floor and couch. Did they even feed her any real healthy food?

"It's a little too late for that, Caspian." Ella says, announcing that we've heard everything.

Mina's eyes widen and she drops what's in her hands, jumping off of the couch and running full speed towards my legs. She wraps her body around mine in a big hug. She's sticky from melted sugar.

Gross. I'm going to have to give her a bath.

"Pop Pop let me have alls da candies!" She shouts, bouncing on her toes.

Running my hand through her tangled blonde hair, I say, "I see. Pop Pop and Mama are going to have a talk. Why don't you go upstairs with Mommy to get ready for bed?"

I seriously doubt that she's going to sleep after all the sugar she's had. I'm surprised she even ate all of it. Mina usually prefers fruit to sweets. I guess tonight was the exception to that rule.

"I'm not sleepy, Mama." She pouts, blinking those big gray eyes at me. It's too bad that puppy dog eyes don't work on me. If they did, I most definitely would cave to each of my sunshine's whims.

"How about you go upstairs, grab a bath, and have some quiet time? Mommy can give you some milky."

That gets her attention. With a big grin, Mina races towards the stairs, climbing them one by one on all fours. Ella follows behind her with a glare towards my father.

Once they're both out of earshot, I turn towards my father and spit, "Candy!? At this time of night. We'll be lucky to get her to sleep."

Dad waves me off like it's no big deal. "She'll be fine, darling. She's going to come down from her sugar high eventually. What are grandparents for if they can't spoil their grandbabies?"

My eyes roll to the heavens. There's no point in arguing with him. "Fine, Dad. At least clean up this mess." I point to my wrecked living room.

"Deal. Worth it to see that smile on her face." He shrugs with a smug grin.

"Whatever. Are you staying the night? You and Mom are both welcome to stay in the guest room."

Dad nods. "Yeah. It's too late for my old body to drive ourselves home. We'll crash here tonight. We can do breakfast in the morning?"

"Alright. I'm going to go upstairs and get ready for bed. Love you."

"Love you too, baby girl." No matter how old I get, he always calls me his baby girl. It's something I love.