Chapter Two

As it turns out, Mina was admitted into the hospital. The infection in her knees was worse than we originally suspected. Her white blood cell count was elevated in her blood, indicating a serious infection. Added with the dehydration and malnourishment, she needs to be here.

Her right leg is also broken. I have no idea how Mina was walking around on it this whole time. It had to be severely painful. Mina had to be sedated for her x-ray because she didn't want to be away from me.

Now, I'm laying in a hospital bed with Mina in my arms. She's fast asleep and sucking on her thumb. Ella helped her shower earlier with me in the room since Mina didn't want to be away from me.

There was so much dirt on her body that it turned her hair brown. Mina's hair isn't actually brown, it's a dirty blonde color.

It's late, about two in the morning, and I still can't sleep. All I can think about is what needs to be done at home. We need to get the nursery ready and buy a fuck ton of stuff. Ella and I both need to start the pills and I need to buy baby proofing materials.

There's still a chance I could be reading Mina wrong, but I doubt it. I don't think I'm projecting my wants onto her. We would never force her into anything she doesn't want. If she told Ella or I that she didn't want to be little, then that would be that.

She would still be staying with us for however long she wanted to. There's just no way I'm allowing her to go back onto the streets. This girl is too small, too fragile to be out there. I'm surprised she survived as long as she did.

With the infection and the broken ankle, I don't think she would've survived much longer.

The thought makes me want to cry and I bring the small girl closer to me. Mina's practically on top of me, but I don't care. She doesn't seem to mind either.

Ella went to the store as soon as she got off her shift. She had to get some basic necessities for Mina. Clothes, diapers, a stuffed animal, and other basic stuff. Mina has had several accidents since being at the hospital.

She's been wearing a pull-up since her third accident. When I purposed the idea of her wearing a pull-up, Mina's cheeks got really red and she shook her head. Mina didn't want me to think of her as a baby, but when I said that she could be my baby, she instantly calmed down.

I've been dropping subtle hints, but I don't want to bombard her.

I'm broken out of my thoughts by Mina gripping my shirt for dear life in her sleep. She whimpers, then starts to cry. I rub her back and whisper soft, soothing words.

"Autumn..." Mina calls out, using my name.

"I'm right here, baby."

She lifts her head off of my chest and starts to cry harder. I gently sit up with Mina in my arms, careful of the pink cast on her right leg.

"What's wrong, sunshine?" I ask as I wipe the tears off her face with my thumb.

"I pee peed." Mina replies, crying harder.

"It's okay. Do you want to change yourself or do you want me to change you?"

Mina shyly points to me and I smile softly. The trust she's putting in me right now is something I would never break. All Mina's done is trust me, something I'm extremely grateful for.

"Alright, sunshine. Why don't you lay back so I can change you?" I say as I adjust Mina on the bed so that she's laying flat.

After grabbing a pull-up that Ella left for us, some wipes, and some cream, I get to work changing Mina. She lays still for the most part. The only time she moves is when I wipe her with the cold wipe.