Chapter Thirty-Two

Autumn (Mama) POV:

I carry a cranky Mina into her doctors office. She hasn't been to this doctor before. We had to find her a new primary care doctor, and it's time for a casual checkup and to check if her cast is finally ready to be removed. There's a week until our Disney cruise and we would prefer Mina to be cast free for that. "I don't wanna see da doctor." Mina whispers into my ear as her head rests on my shoulder.

"You have to, sunshine. Mommy and I will be right next to you the whole time. We'll even get icecream afterwards. What flavor do you want?" I inquire, walking up to the check in desk.

An attractive red headed woman sits behind the desk, typing away on the computer while talking on the phone. "One minute please." She holds up one finger, then unmutes the phone call.

"She's hot." Ella whispers in my ear. I roll my eyes, but nod my agreement. Ella and I are secure enough in our relationship to acknowledge when we see another attractive person. As long as we don't act on that attraction, we see no problem with it.

"I dun wan owie shots." Mina pouts in my ear. I can already hear the emotion forming in her voice. If it wasn't frowned on in society, I would pull my shirt up right now to nurse her. She needs comforting, but we're going to have to wait until we're at least in the car.

"There's not going to be any shots, baby. I promise. Just a quick checkup to see how you're doing. They're also going to look at your leg and see if we can get that stinky boot off. That's it. Can you be brave for us?" Ella asks our little girl. She reaches up to rub Mina's back in a comforting motion.

"Okay. I'll try, Mama's."

"That's my good girl." I praise right as the red head slams the phone back down on the receiver, looking thoroughly annoyed. She plasters on a fake smile and asks, "What can I help you with today?"

After quickly giving her Mina's name and date of birth, we're told to go sit down in the waiting room until a nurse comes to get us. It's quiet in here, only a couple patients spread out throughout the small, sterile waiting room. We choose a couple seats towards the back and sit down. Mina fits perfectly on my lap as I bounce my knee anxiously. There's a lot of questions I have to ask this doctor.

Mainly, it's about Mina's lack of puberty at such a late stage. She's been receiving proper nutrition for over a month now. Rationally, I know that a months worth of nutrition wont fix years of neglect and starvation, but I just want to make sure my girl is healthy.

A tiny, joyful giggle catches my attention. My bouncing knee is making Mina bounce in return, causing her little laughs. "Is that fun, sunshine?" I question.

"Mhm." She nods happily and leans her back against my chest, slipping her thumb in her mouth. Well, I'm glad that her anxiety over seeing the doctor has somewhat faded since we've been in the building. It's just me that's the hot mess.

"You need to take some breaths, babe. You're stressing over nothing. I'm a doctor. If I thought Mina was really sick, she would've been back to the hospital already. She's fine and you know that." Ella reassures.

I take a slow deep breath and stop the rapid bouncing of my knee. Ella rests her hand on my knee that's not currently supporting Mina. One quick reassuring smile later, and I'm almost completely calm.

Twenty minutes pass as we sit here in near silence. Mina is starting to get bored. Her body fidgets against mine and I pass her off to Ella. Maybe she can keep Mina entertained. "Do you want to play one of your games on Mommy's phone?"

Our girl nods happily and claps her hands. Ella hands over her phone after unlocking it, pulling up one of Mina's dress up games that we installed on there. "Look at that, Mama!" Mina points to the phone and I give her some oohs and ahhs. I'm not impressed, but I'll pretend for my daughter.