Chapter Twenty-Six

Ella POV:

Autumn cuddles into my side as we stare at the baby monitor. Mina is fast asleep in her crib and snoring the morning away. We snuck in there earlier to decorate her room for her birthday. There's pink and purple balloons floating everywhere, streamers strewn up on the walls, and confetti all over the floor.

We wanted to make this birthday special for Mina and now we're just waiting on her to wake up. Autumn and I are going to take her swimming, then we're going to go to the park, and tomorrow my parents are coming over.

This is a big deal for us and I couldn't be more excited.

"How do you think she's going to react?" Autumn asks as she pushes some of her red hair out of her face.

"She'll probably be too excited to handle it." I shrug my shoulders and hold my breath as Mina starts to stir on the baby monitor.

My girl flops over onto her back and wiggles around for a few minutes. She reaches up to rub her eyes, then calls out for Autumn and I.

"Mommy? Mama? I's up now!"

Her eyes are still closed and I bite down on my knuckles to stop myself from laughing. She's just too cute.

I click the unmute button on the baby monitor and say into the microphone, "Open your eyes, sweetheart."

Mina slowly blinks her eyes open and gasps. She sits up in her bottom and starts bouncing with glee. I knew she would love it. Her eyes are wide and she keeps trying to stand up.

Autumn and I rush out of bed to grab her. When we make it to the nursery, Mina squeals, "Mama! Mommy! Wook!"

She's pointing at everything all at once. It's so adorable and my heart melts on the spot. My little baby hasn't ever had anything like this before and I'm honored to be the one to give her a good birthday.

"I see, sweetheart. Happy birthday!" I reply as Autumn lifts our girl out of her crib.

Her diaper is soggy and Autumn's quick to change her. "Happy birthday, my beautiful girl." She whispers into Mina's hair.

My wife sets Mina down and we watch as she crawls off towards some of the balloons on the floor. We were too lazy to fill all of them with helium, so there's several of them drifting along the ground.

Mina squeals and bats at the balloons happily. Her joyful sounds must've gotten Clifford's attention, because he prances into the room and stops when he sees the balloons.

Goodness, he's going to pop them. Before Autumn or myself can grab him, Clifford pounces on the balloon with his claws out. It pops instantly, startling Mina. She freezes for a second and then bursts into a fit of laughter.

"Phew. I thought she was going to start crying." Autumn whispers into my ear while leaning against my side.

"Me too." I shrug and go to sit on the floor next to my baby. She's waiting for Clifford to pounce on another balloon. He's crouched down low with his butt wiggling high in the air. A classic hunting position.

He pounces once again and grapples with the ballon. It doesn't pop instantly like the first and Clifford tries with all his kitty might to pop it. Eventually, a loud bang surrounds throughout the room when Clifford finally breaks the material.

Mina throws her head back and laughs, clapping her hands. She looks so adorable right now. Her dirty blonde hair is all frazzled from sleep and she's wearing the cutest rainbow onesie with a little bow on the collar.

We watch Clifford for a while until he tires himself out. He trots from the room, his fat belly swaying beneath him with each step. Our cat really needs to go on a diet.