Chapter Twenty-Four

Autumn POV:

Mina is currently strapped into her highchair with a bib around her neck. Ella is hell bent on getting some solids into our little girl, so that's what we're currently trying to do. Armed with an applesauce pouch, I approach my baby and smile when she gurgles at me.

"Do you want some yummies, sunshine?" I ask as I squeeze some applesauce onto a baby spoon.

All Mina does is smile at me and blink her big gray eyes in my direction. I know Ella wants Mina to eat something, but one day without solid food won't hurt her. I hate that I'm having to force Mina to eat something. Ella's a doctor, she should know that Mina could survive on our breastmilk for a little bit. As long as she's getting fluids everything's fine.

Nevertheless, I bring the spoon up to Mina's mouth and feed it to her. Well, I try to at least. Mina just pushes the soft food out with her tongue and giggles when it slides down her chin and, onto the bib that's currently wrapped around her neck.

I try again, changing tactics. Bringing the spoon up, I make a helicopter noise saying, "Open for the helicopter!"

Ella laughs from beside me and says, "It's an airplane. Not a helicopter."

My eyes roll without my permission as I playfully reply with, "Tomato, tomato. Spelled the same way, but sounds different depending how you say it."

"You're just talking nonsense now."

Ella moves to Mina's side and sing-songs, "Mama's talking crazy."

A laugh escapes me as I try and feed another bite to Mina. She's not having any of it. Whenever I try to place a bite in her mouth, it just ends up spat all over her bib. We try for another five minutes before switching tactics. I head towards the fridge and grab some of Mina's fruit. I say Mina's and not ours because she eats it all before we get a chance to.

I cut the fruit up into tiny pieces and bring it over to Mina, setting some down on her tray. Some stays in the bowl so I can feed it to her.

"Look, sweetheart. It's fruit." Ella points towards the highchair tray and Mina squeals excitedly.

She slaps her tiny hands down and smushes the cold food into the white plastic of her tray. Not eating, only playing. My last idea is to just feed it to her. I grab a small piece of fruit out of the bowl I'm holding and put it in Mina's open mouth. She smacks her lips and starts to chew the fruit. My hopes are crushed when she spits the half-eaten morsel right back out.

"Well, I guess she's surviving on breastmilk for the rest of the day. At least it has some nutrients in it." I shrug my shoulders and get to cleaning up the mess Mina made.

Ella walks off in search of some baby wipes and starts wiping our girl's face and hands. She doesn't like that one very much, quickly becoming fussy. My wife is quick to calm her by picking her up and cuddling our daughter close to her chest. It's truly a testament to how truly small Mina is by how easily we pick her up.

"Why don't you bring her into the living room and put on those bouncing vegetables that Mina loves? I'll clean up in here while you do that."

"Sure. Come join us as soon as you're done."

I race through washing Mina's tray and moping the floor around her highchair. My baby girl is a messy one. Right as I'm about to finish cleaning, my phone rings and I'm quick to pull it out of my back pocket to answer. Dr.Marsh's name appears on the screen, and I smile. He was the doctor who examined Mina when we had to take her to the hospital. He's a Daddy Dom himself and has a little boy named Wren.