Chapter One

During the car ride to the hospital, I learn that the girls name is, 'Mina.' From what I was able to gather, her Mom kicked her out of the house a little over two months ago. Mina's been homeless ever since.

I also learned that it was her mother who potentially broke her leg. The bruises that are fresher are from living on the streets.

I also learned that her favorite color is pink, she likes any type of pasta, and that she has a teddy bear named, 'Rhino.' The most important piece of information I learned is that the girl is a little.

She slipped in the back of my car and curled up on the seat, sucking her thumb. I cringed when she placed the filthy finger in her mouth, but let her do it. It's a comfort thing and she's covered in that grime anyways.

It stained my tan blouse from when I was carrying Mina, but I would do it all over again. Holding her in my arms was worth it. She snuggled right into me like I was a person she knew and not just a stranger.

I finally pull into the parking lot of the emergency room and take a peek in my review mirror. Mina is fast asleep with her head resting on the window. I hate to wake her, but I need to get her in there.

She has to be in pain and I want the best care for her. No matter what, this girl is coming home with my wife and I at the end of the day.

Stepping out of the car, I round it to carefully open Mina's car door. The seatbelt keeps her from flying out, but I do startle her. Mina bursts into tears and makes grabby hands at me.

I reach over her slim frame to unbuckle her, then lift her into my arms. Not that I would say this out loud, but she's in need of a good bath. The little thing stinks. There's no baths in the hospital, but there are showers.

Ella promised me that Mina could get a shower once she's been checked out.

"You ready to go meet Ella? She's been waiting patiently for you," I pause and say in a whisper, "I think she might even have a lollipop if you're really good."

This catches Mina's attention. Her head lifts off my shoulder and she looks at me to see if I'm lying.

"I wan lolli." She whines.

"Then let's go see if Ella has one." I wink, then start walking off to the emergency room entrance.

We attract a few stares and I don't mind them. I'm sure we look weird. I'm a well dressed business woman carrying a small dirty girl in my arms. We're going to attract stares, but I could care less. My
main priority right now is making sure Mina is comfortable and healthy.

Walking through the front doors of the emergency room, I see my wife standing there in all her glory. Her blonde hair is tied back in a slick ponytail, her green eyes glued to Mina in my arms.

Her pink lips turn into a frown when she sees the state Mina's in. She automatically rushes over and walks behind me, taking a peek at Mina who's head is still resting on my shoulder.

"Well, hello there, pretty girl. I'm Ella." She says softly.

All Mina does is press her face into my neck and whimper. I rub her back and gently sway the both of us. Whispering in Mina's ear I say, "That's my wife. She has a surprise for you."

Mina peeks her head up and looks at Ella curiously. My wife reaches into her pocket and retrieves a small lollipop. She offers it to Mina and the girl instantly takes it out of her hand, sticking it in her mouth with the wrapper still on.

Ella laughs and gently takes the sucker out of Mina's mouth, unwraps it, then offers it back to her.

"What do you say?" I say softly.