Chapter Forty-Nine

Ella (Mommy) POV:

It's early afternoon when Mina finally begins to wake up. My wonderful wife stayed up with her most of the night while I slept. The only times she woke me up were when Mina was sick again and asking for me. We're all tired, but Autumn is hanging on by a thread. 

Her eyes are bloodshot with large bags underneath. Don't even get me started on her red hair being in tangles. One of her nipples is cracked from Mina nursing on it for the past several hours. She made sure I was okay while taking care of our sick little girl. 

I decide to return the favor. Standing up, I lift a sleeping Mina into my arms and carry her into her bedroom. One quick diaper change later, and she's laid down in her crib to sleep the day away. While she's asleep, I head back to my room to make sure Autumn is okay.

She's spread out on our bed like a starfish with heavy lidded eyes. I'm pretty sure she's sleeping with her eyes open. "Okay, baby. I got Mina. You need to sleep. I'm pretty sure you are asleep right now, actually." 

Shrugging, I move Autumn's body onto the bed and laugh while I close her eyes for her. She grumbles for a second, saying Mina's name. My heart melts at the concern she's showing for our baby girl. "I got her. She's asleep in her bed. Just lay down. I'll stay with her today after giving your dad a piece of my mind."

"Go easy on him. He didn't mean it." She garbles, nearly asleep again This silly woman. Just go to sleep.

"You know he meant it. Mina just cant handle all that junk and candy. What's done is done. We can't take it back, so we just have to make sure he doesn't do it again. I promise I wont be too hard on him." 

Autumn nods tiredly, passing out a moment later. As much as I would love to go off on her dad for gorging our sweet girl on candies, I wont. I'll just have to make it clear to him that Mina's sick because her body isn't used to junk food like that.

I think he forgets not all that long ago she was living on the streets, nearly starved to death. Yes, she looks like a totally different person, but that doesn't mean he can just throw out rules out of the window in the name of fun. 

I can't expect him to know what we haven't told him. It would've just been nice if he used his common sense and did what we asked of him. We even laid out dinner plans, meal prepping for our night out. All of that went down the drain.

All I'm saying is it's a good thing Mina isn't a real baby, because if she was, I would be pitching a way bigger fit. 

Sighing, I work my shoulders in circular motions to relive the tension, then push the covers up to Autumn's chin. She smiles in her sleep, puckering her lips for me. Even exhausted and clearly asleep she wants me. 

Leaning down, I give her a soft kiss, then straighten to go make something to eat. It's nearly three o'clock, so it comes as no surprise to me that her dad is already gone. He left a note on the counter, saying that he would be calling to check on Mina later.

 Fucker knew he was going to get lectured so he skipped out. That's only mildly frustrating. Nevertheless, I toss the note in the trash and go in search of planning something healthy to eat. 

I settle on a spinach, egg, cheese, pepper, and mushroom omelet. Clifford watches me as I dice up the ingredients, his tail swishing across the floor. He's waiting for me to drop something onto the floor for him. Too bad. Mina will inevitably give him something of hers at dinner. That's why our cat is fat. 

"Sorry, fat guy. You're just going to have to eat what's in your bowl." 

He meows loudly in my direction, clearly fed up. He wouldn't eat any of this anyways. He's too picky. The only thing he would eat out of this is the cheese. Even then it's iffy.