Chapter Forty-Four

Ella (Mommy) POV:

A few nights ago Autumn and I had a talk about Mina missing me during the week. We agreed that we would do something special this weekend. Now that the weekends here, we decided to take Mina to the fair that's a couple hours away. We rented a hotel and everything to make it a special affair. We come back Sunday evening and Mina's super excited. She won't stop bouncing off the walls and generally being too cute.

I think she's more excited about the hotel, to be honest. It has a huge indoor water park, and we know our baby loves the water. "Mina? Where are you, sweetheart? We have to go?" I yell up the stairs. Mina's like a toddler, if it's quiet that means somethings wrong. Tip toeing quietly up the stairs, I step quietly into the nursery. My sweet little girl is trying to get our fat cat in a suitcase. I bite my lip to stifle my laughter at the sight. Pulling my phone out of my back pocket, I text Autumn for her to silently come into the nursery.

"Come on, Cwifford. We gots to gooo!" Mina complains while throwing treats into the suitcase. Our cat isn't stupid and refuses to jump into the bag. He sits on his fat rump under her crib. "Mama an' Mommy are gonna be here soon. You gots to hurry."

Autumn suddenly steps up to my side, placing her head in my neck. Her shoulders shake with silent laughter. "Mommy and Mama already caught you, love bug." I announce, inadvertently starting my baby. She jumps and turns, shoving the treats behind her back guiltily.

"I'm not doin' anything." She mumbles, sticking her thumb in her mouth. That's Mina's telltale sign that she's lying. Autumn stands up straight, walking to our little girl. She squats down in front of her, then turns to wink at me. "How did these kitty treats get here? Did Clifford sneak into the cabinets and grab them?"

Mina nods slowly, thinking she got away with something. "Ahhh. Okay, then. Can Mama pick you up so we can go?" She shakes her head, making her tiny blonde hairs that are sticking out of ponytail flutter. She knows that if Autumn picks her up, she'll discover the treat bag behind her back.

"Why? You always love when I carry you." Autumn pouts, laying it on thick. Mina whimpers and slowly pulls the treat bag out from behind her back. A red eyebrow raises on Autumn's face as she eyes the kitty treats. "Oh! Clifford didn't get these out of the cabinet?"

"I was just tryna take Cwifford wif us." Mina mumbles around the thumb in her mouth. She sniffles and whispers, "I'm sorrys I told a lie, Mama." Autumn pulls our baby into her arms, kissing the top of her head. "I forgive you, sunshine. It's not nice to lie, is it?"

"No, cause it hurts your heart." Mina agrees. "That's right, love. Now, clean up these treats so we can get going. We're going to stop and get some brunch on the way." That gets Mina going. She carefully picks up the treats in the suitcase, shoving them back into the bag. As soon as she's done, my princess hops up and rushes into my arms. I lift her and place several kisses all over her face.

"Stop! Stop, Mommy!" She giggles, moving her head to try and dodge my kisses. "I can't stop! I missed a spot right here!" One more kiss to the tip of her nose, and then I'm carrying her downstairs. The car is all packed and loaded, which means we should be ready to leave. That is until Mina decides she wants some milk. She whines and pulls on my shirt as I'm trying to place her in her carseat.

"Can I please have your boobie?" She asks sweetly. Her wording does make me chuckle internally, though. I sigh and turn my wrist to look at my watch. If we're going to make our reservation on time, we need to get going soon. Nevertheless, it's hard for me to say no to my sweetheart. "Just for a little bit, okay?"

My girl nods happily while kicking her legs. I slide into the back of the car, then pull Mina into my lap. She unlatches my bra by herself, pokes my nipple once it's revealed, and then latches on. I run my fingers through her hair while she stares into my eyes. I love these quiet moments with her. With work taking up so much of my time, these moments are few and far between.

"Babe? You ready to go?" Autumn yells as she steps out into the air-conditioned garage. She stops when she sees me nursing Mina, crossing her arms over her chest. "Really? We need to get going and the boob goblin is having an early morning snack." My wife jokes.

I shrug and laugh. "What can I say, she asked nicely."

***

Pulling into this cute little breakfast establishment, I help Mina out of the car. She skips at my side while holding my hand. I got a happy girl on my left, and my wife on my right. It doesn't get any better than this. "What are you going to eat, baby? Are you going to try something new?"

Fruit and pancakes get pretty old after a while, but they're the one thing Mina always asks for for breakfast. I'm trying to introduce some new foods into her diet. I'll never force her to eat anything she doesn't want to, though. All that does is create a poor relationship with food.

"I want omelette." She answers with a smile as we hand and hand approach the hostess stand. No idea why she asked for eggs. She hates them. "How about Mommy gets an omelette, and you have a bite to see if you like it? If you do, Mama will share with you."

"Okay, Mommy." Mina smiles up at me and squeezes my hand tighter. We have to wait a little bit for our table, so we sit at the benches lining the front of the restaurant. Mina sits on my lap, playing a dress up game on my phone. My arm is wrapped around Autumn while she watches what Mina's doing.

Several patrons are waiting around us. Most of them give us friendly smiles when we happen to make eye contact. There is a middle-aged couple that keeps side eyeing us, though. "Mommy, Mama, look!" Mina points to an ugly creation she made. I still praise her because that's what good parents do.

"That poor child is going to grow up so confused without a male presence in her life." A male voice grunts. I lift my head and stare at him right in the eye, refusing to back down. It's a good thing Mina's so wrapped up in her game. She doesn't need to hear that. The man holds eye contact with me, my eyebrow raising in challenge. "You have something to say?" I snap.

Mina tilts her head back to look at me, her face full of confusion. She looks back and forth between myself and the man, shrugs, and goes back to her game. "I said that poor child is going to grow up so confused with a father figure in her life."

Autumn scoffs, the air around us turning tense. Tapping Mina on the shoulder, I tell her, "Why don't you go get bear out of the car with Mama?" She jumps off my lap, happy that she doesn't have to sit still anymore. My wife grabs her hand and escorts her to the parking lot. Now that my child is gone I can let my words fly free, "If you must know, my child isn't confused as if that's any business of yours. My child is happy and loved. She knows her Mommy and Mama will always love and take care of her. She also has plenty of male role models in her life. Not that she needs them.

"If I was you, I would make sure your kids have a good role model in their lives. Because you're sure as hell not a good one. I'm raising her to be kind, compassionate, and understanding of different ethnicities, sexualities, and religions. So how about you worry about how you're raising your kids, and I'll worry about how I'm raising mine." The man looks enraged, but smartly keeps quiet.

That's good timing too, since Mina and Autumn just arrived back inside. My baby jumps up on my lap and gives me a big hug. "Mommy! Mommy! Guess who called Mama while we were outside?" She screeches, bouncing excitedly in my lap.

"Who called you, sweetheart?" I ask, running her fingers through her hair. "Pop pop! He said that I can come to his house on Monday while yous and Mama go to work!" Her excitement is adorable. I love it.

"Wow! You're going to have a fun day with Pop Pop." As soon as I finish speaking, our name is called for a table. I walk right past the man with my head held high. I rightfully embarrassed him in public and put him in his place. I'm feeling on top of the world.