Chapter Twenty-Three

Ella POV:

Autumn was right last night. We do have a little baby on our hands. Mina is very clingy today and isn't letting us walk out of her eyesight. She wants to be carried around and constantly has to be touching one of us.

I think she had a nightmare last night and that's why she dropped so low in headspace. It's almost noon right now and Mina is fast asleep in her swing. My hand is firmly on her belly to let her know that I'm still here, even when she's sleeping.

"Hey, babe?" Autumn asks as she steps into the room.

"What's up?" I question.

"We're almost out of wipes. I'm going to have to run to the store to get some. Do you want to come with me and bring Mina?"

I think about that for a second. Mina is clearly in a newborn headspace and going out in public when she's like that isn't a good idea. Not because we're embarrassed. It's because she wants to nurse every second of the day.

It's okay to nurse in our own home, but not out in public.

"Why don't you go out and grab them? Mina needs to stay asleep. As much as I love her, newborn Mina is a lot to handle."

Autumn laughs and walks over to me. She bends down and places a kiss on my lips, then one on Mina's forehead.

"I'll be back. Any specific requests?"

"Maybe some lunch? Something easy. I don't know if our little one will eat any solid foods, so grab her some applesauce pouches from the store."

"Gotcha. Love you."

"Drive safe!" I yell at Autumn's back.

I immediately regret my decision to yell when Mina stirs in her swing. She makes this cute little whine, then quickly settles back down. The breath I was holding in releases and I slowly stand up.

Some light cleaning needs done and the best time to do it is now. Plus, Clifford decided he wanted to snuggle with Mina, so I don't need to sit there any more. He climbed his fat self into the swing and is snuggling with her right now.

Heading off into the house, I quickly straighten up Mina's nursery, wipe down the tub in the master bedroom, and tidy up some of Mina's toys. By the time I'm done with that, I can hear Mina downstairs.

She's babbling to the cat and trying to eat it's fur. Rushing forward, I quickly pick up Clifford and say, "No, sweetheart. We don't eat the kitty's fur. We pet the kitty."

Mina just pokes her bottom lip out at me and scrunches up her face. Oh lord. She's about to start crying. I would know that face anywhere.

I put the cat down on the ground and gently grab Mina out of her swing. She clutches onto my shirt and whimpers sadly.

"Shhh. Mommy's got you. Clifford wants to go do kitty stuff now. He'll come to see you later."

That seems to be enough for Mina. She settles down and nuzzles her face into my breast. I laugh and move to sit on the couch. As soon as I'm sat down, Mina takes that opportunity to pull on my shirt. I lift the white material for her and help my baby latch on.

She suckles while staring up at me with wide, gray eyes. I hum a little song to her and stroke her cheek.

"You are just the cutest girl in the whole wide world." I coo.

Mina smiles up at me, making milk dribble out of her mouth. I'm quick to swipe it away with my thumb. "Messy girl."

***