Chapter 50 - Conversations in the dark

Chapter 50

Marley POV

I was starting to go a little stir crazy. It had been a few days of staying inside apart from our golf date, the shopping trip and the few trips to the company. I didn't want to go there too regularly though as I knew he really needed to practice without distractions and as much as he said we weren't, Sophia and I being there meant he wasn't always focused on work. When he said he was busy every day, he meant it. He hadn't had a full day off since we'd gotten here and I knew that was just something I needed to accept as part of his life.

Being at Tae's home was great, meeting his family had gone better than I thought it could and some of his friends were coming over in a few days. But, we hadn't really seen anything of Seoul yet and I was starting to wonder if coming had been a good idea. Maybe I would take up his suggestion of a guide again and go out to look at a few things in the next day or two. Surely without Tae near us, we should be able to go most places.

But boredom meant I had watched as much Netflix as I could tolerate and was now drawn to the internet, scrolling when I knew better. Staring at the screen, I saw that things hadn't really died down yet and I tried to look away from the words but they were already etched in my mind.

"Ugly! So Ugly!"

"She's not his type at all, she'll be gone in the next few weeks, back to being a nobody."

"Look at her stomach, fat from breeding that little spawn we've seen Tae with."

"And her shoulders. Almost as big as our WWH Jin. What a joke, as if Tae is actually with someone like her."

My hand went automatically to my tummy, sitting on my imperfections, now enlarged and glaring for the world to see too. I knew I wasn't everything they were saying about me but I couldn't help but look in the mirror and see myself the way they were in those photos.

So now I was curled up in bed, under the covers where I'd been for the last few hours. Tears welled, fell, were wiped away and fell again, my face blotchy and swollen from the crying. I fell into a fitful sleep sometime around 11pm, dozing and waking with achy eyes and heart when I heard the door lock behind him. Squeezing my eyes shut, I pretended to be asleep as he crept into the room, using his phone to light the way.

I could hear rustling as he quietly took his clothes off and the covers moved a little as he carefully climbed under them, sliding slowly towards me. He knew I was a light sleeper and seemed to be trying his best not to wake me. I guessed that meant he was too tired for anything other than sleeping which was good. I wasn't able to think about that tonight, the words stuck in my head reminding me I wasn't good enough for him.

His arm curled over my waist and he lay back, relaxing. Keeping my breathing even, I waited until he was quiet, hoping he'd nod off. "Marley? You're awake?"

I was silent, hoping he'd think I was and go to sleep himself but he persevered. "I can feel you're awake, your heart is beating fast against me. Is everything OK."

I turned to face him, keeping my head down as I tucked it against his body.

"Yup," I answered and he stroked my hair.

"OK, it's not, I can hear it in your voice. What has happened?" He reached over to turn on the bedside light.

"I was stupid," I mumbled into his chest and he didn't reply, waiting for me to continue. "I looked online."

"Oh," he murmured. "I'm sorry. I am thinking you saw things that you didn't want to? What was it this time?" My eyes filled up again and he leaned down to move my face so he could see it. "Ah, please don't cry sweetheart." His kiss was gentle, trying to absolve the world of whatever pain it had caused me.