Chapter 33 - I wrote a song today

Chapter 33

Marley POV

"I wrote a song today," he said, putting the ramen into his mouth. We were eating together, Tae a late lunch, me a late dinner after putting Sophia to bed. Separated only by thousands of miles, two flights and lots of sea.

"Do I get to hear it?"

"Of course, especially because it's about you."

My fork stopped halfway to my mouth and he cracked up, swallowing his next mouthful quickly, trying not to choke on his laughter.

"OK, wow," I replied. "That's so unexpected and I don't know what to say. Now I'm super curious. Play it for me?"

"I'll send it through to you after we've finished talking. I hope you like it. I'm sure of the words but the music is just a guide for now."

"I like all your songs and they always make me feel all kinds of things."

"Funny, that's kind of what the song is about, how you make me feel all kinds of things through music as time passes."

He was staring at me through the screen, his food now pushed to the side, leaning forward on his arms. My appetite suddenly vanished and I did likewise, leaning forward, propping my hand on my cheek as I took in his expression. It had been 10 days since we'd seen each other in person with no date in sight for when we'd be together again. The almost daily Facetime calls helped but they were like putting a small bandage on a wound that needed stitches. Looking and talking to him was definitely something but I craved his touch.

Subconsciously my hand moved towards the screen and I dropped it when I noticed, a little embarrassed. "I'm missing that too," he said quietly, putting his finger to the screen as if I'd spoken aloud what was going on in my head. I joined it with mine, looking down before the tears that threatened to well up could grow and fall. That was happening more often lately, switching between grinning hugely when I remembered something that had happened between us to a wave of sadness that caused my eyes to fill. It felt lonely and I couldn't bare how my heart would sometimes just ache for no reason. I'd been here before, the ache after Matty was gone. This also felt like a kind of loss, having him so close but nowhere near me.

"Marley? Jagiya? If I can't touch you, can I at least see your face?"

I looked up slowly, breathing the emotions away.

"You don't have to do that," he said as my wet eyes met his. "You can be real with me, you know that. Because honestly, this is hard. I really miss you."

"Yes, this really, really, really sucks."

"What can I do to make it better?"

I thought for a moment.

"Can you play me the song you wrote while we listen together, that might help?"

"No, no, I'm too embarrassed to play it to you while I watch." The back of his hand went to his cheek which had flushed slightly, the other playing with his ear.

"Please?" I fluttered my eyelashes at him, causing him to laugh, throwing his hands into the air.

"That's not fair."

"Please?" I asked again, grinning.

"OK, OK but I can't look at you while you listen."

"Oh thank you, this is amazing." I sat back expectantly, while he played with his laptop for a moment.

"Let me send the words through so you can read them while you listen. That way you can't look at me at the same time. I wrote it in English."

My phone beeped and I clicked on the message as the music started.