Chapter 31 - Too many goodbyes

Chapter 31

Marley POV

We fell asleep after trying to keep awake for as long as we could, talking ourselves out before the next day came and took us away from each other.

I felt a kiss on my cheek when the sky was still dark, waking me up gently. "Come with me," he said, pulling the blankets back and handing me a robe and a long jacket to wear over the top. The clock said 530am and my tearful moments from the night before could still be felt in my heavy, tired eyes. Rubbing them as I wrapped up in the clothes, I noticed he was wearing similar and smiled at him in the soft light of the lamp he'd turned on in the corner.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I grabbed the door key and trailed behind where he led.

"A surprise," he answered, finger to his lips and I used my hands to smooth down my messed up hair as I followed him out the door. Heading along the hallway, we turned a corner to a door which led to a back stairwell. He held it open as we went through and started to climb up, taking my hand. I knew the hotel had 16 floors and my room was near the middle so quite a few slow, morning steps later we reached the top where a man was waiting at a door. He nodded to Tae and unlocked the door and Tae led me through and out into the fresh night air. The sky was just beginning to turn purple rather than black as we walked out onto the roof of the hotel.

"I wanted to watch the sunrise with you," he said sweetly, pulling me close, pointing to the blanket someone had placed on the ground. We walked over, hand and hand and I saw wine glasses and a platter of food was laid out plus some heat packs and extra blankets to keep us warm. I stared at the set up, the dawn air waking me up as I realised the trouble he'd gone to for our last morning together. He sat down, pulling me with him so I nestled between his legs, resting against his chest. "The sun should rise soon, we can eat together while we wait. It is not alcohol," he finished pointing to the bottle of sparking grape juice.

"Such a perfect surprise, thank you baby," I answered, kissing the tiny mole on his cheek and snuggling into his warmth. He picked up a cracker, popping it in my mouth as we watched the sky begin to change. Relaxing back into his embrace, his chin was resting on my shoulder and I felt a sense of calm and reassurance. The air was crisp and still, he was warm, the world in that moment seemed a beautiful place, a stark contrast to a year ago. I didn't think it was that I had fallen for just anyone that made me feel this way. It was that I had fallen for Tae. His presence was soothing, the way he was with me felt like I had been missing something and now that I had found it, everything was starting to make sense again.

The sky was a dark amber, slowly turning a more brilliant orange, the moon dropping as the sun rose. The last stars twinkled and disappeared and I just breathed in the moment, feeling alive. Tae poured a drink for us both and we sipped as I reached for a canape, giving it to him to nibble. I didn't even notice that he'd put a playlist on at some stage, soft music setting the scene as we spent the dawn together.

I frowned a little as he moved away from my back but as he stood up and held out his hand to pull me up and into his arms, I was charmed again as he swayed with me, quietly dancing the day in.

"Now we've seen a sunset in New Zealand together and a sunrise in Australia. One day soon I'd like you to watch both with me back home," he whispered in my ear as we turned together, the sky almost light now, the moment magical.

"I'd love to come to Korea with you Tae, you've seen a little of my world. Seeing where you call home would be another piece in getting to know you."

"Lets try to make that happen soon. And not just a short trip, when you come home to me, I want it to be for a long time so I can show you so many things." He opened his mouth as if to say something else but paused, kissing my forehead and pulling me close again instead.