Chapter 44: Mother's Day

May 9, 2012

7:30pm

Arthur

Chris was helping us prepare the house for mother's day. Tom was able to get her out of the house. Chris was obviously jealous because... They don't talk about it, but Emily and Chris have grown closer than friends, but far from lovers. Emily seems to be happy with Tom, but that sparkle in her eyes is for Chris. All of us can see that. "Dad." Kier called as we filled the vase in the living room with roses. Emily loves red roses more than white ones. "Yeah?" Chris asked as he filled the base with some water. "Why'd you let mother go?" Kieren asked. I froze remembering that day he told us to leave. "Don't you already know?" Chris asked laying the vase on the table. "Well, I heard Uncle Sebby talk about it, but I want to here it from you." He replied fixing the pillows. I continue to clean the pictures, waiting for Chris's reply. Is he gonna sugar coat it?

"Kieren, I left Emily for her safety and yours. The woman threatening us will stop at nothing to see your mother turn to dust because she took me away from her." Chris replied fixing the shelf. "Really? I thought you liked Minka." Kieren said frowning. "I don't wike her. I... I used to, but your mother came." He replied smiling. "Wike her? What are you, three?" I asked raising a brow. "Art, you're Emily is showing." He teased. "Shut up and answer him, Chris." I replied carrying Naomi in my arms. "Alright, calm down. I love your mother more than anything, Kieren. I love her enough to let her go." He replied carrying him.

"That's all of the fixing. Go to your rooms. I still have to cook. Art will wake you up when Emily comes." Chris said putting Kieren down and I put Naomi down. They ran and walked up the stairs. "They matured to fast." Chris commented as we started to cook dinner. "Yeah well you kinda caused that." I replied helping him chop some vegetables. He chuckled bitterly. "Yeah, I guess it is." He replied and we fell into silence until we finished dinner just in time for the doorbell to ring. "I better get that." I said getting off the stool and walked towards the door. I opened it to find Emily looking a tad bit sad, but it disappeared as quickly as I noticed it. "Hey, Arthur! I missed you!" She exclaimed hugging me tightly.

"What happened?" I whispered hugging her back tightly. "Tom... Tom said he need time to think about what our relationship really was... He said that he needed time away... Art, I don't know what I did." She whispered sobbing silently. "I think he knows you kissed Chris lots of times during Christmas, New Year, a little on Valentine's Day, and I think he knows you love him more." I replied patting her back. She hugged tighter. "Mom, I love you. I'll always be here when you need a bodyguard, an escort, a teddy bear, a maid, and most especially, a son." I whispered kissing her cheek. She smiled and pulled away. "Arthur, I love you so much." She whispered wiping her tears. I got a small box out of my pocket. "Mom, I know you aren't that much into silver or gold anything, but I want to give you this." I said handing her the box. I raised a brow and took it from me. She shook it a little.

"Arthur Stan, what's in this?" She asked raising a brow. "Open it." I replied closing the door behind her. I smiled and opened the box. She gasped and covered her mouth. "W-Where did you find this?!" She asked as a fresh new wave of tears came down. It was her promise ring from Chris that she threw at the floor one valentine day after they broke up. It was a small sapphire, gold butterfly ring. "Let's just say I found it somewhere over the rainbow." I replied smiling. She laughed and sniffed. "Would you mind?" She asked handing me the box I smiled and took the necklace, ring, out of the box and hooked it around her neck. Chris appeared by the doorway towards the kitchen. "It's beautiful, Arthur, thank you. I've been looking for years for this." She exclaimed admiring it. Chris looked stunned. "Really? Why is that?" I asked knowing the answer, but wanting Chris to hear it. "Arthur, you know the answer." She replied blushing. "Yeah? Well, I want to hear it again." I replied grinning. She smiled and looked at me. "Because the day he gave me this ring was the day he promised to never ever leave me and we shared our first night together." She replied blushing crimson. Chris couldn't believe what he heard, but cleared his throat. "Chris! How long have you been standing there!?" She asked frowning. I motioned for him to lie.