Unfulfilled Role (1)

a/n: fyi, the pic above is probably the closest to cale's current appearance in my head right now. just to help your imagination. © airtrees0507 on twt

anyways, on with the story.

-

"Saga," Cale called out, and the familiar cream dokkaebi appeared out of thin air.

Kim Dokja who was used to Bihyung's constant appearance wasn't too shocked, but his jaw still dropped slightly at the sight. "You made a contract with a dokkaebi too?" He blurted out in surprise.

Cale scrunched up his nose, not caring about the mentions of contract that had accidentally slipped. "No. He just listens to me for some reason."

Saga crossed his arms with an offended look on his fluffy face. He also doesn't seem to care of the obviously illegal contract between a dokkaebi and human. [ I don't do that. ]

"Mm," The man only hummed, not taking Saga's words seriously at all. "Did you successfully redirect the channel's focus elsewhere?"

[ I did. ] He said firmly, and that managed to snap Kim Dokja out of his trance.

"Wait, is that why I didn't receive tons of messages? I thought even the constellations would freak out over that fact," Dokja commented in a laid-back tone, and by 'that fact' is the revelation that this is the world of a novel.

[ What fact? ] Saga tilted his head, before a look of understanding flashed in his eyes. [ Ah, to be honest, I didn't even have to redirect the channel. Your conversation was strangely censored by the star stream. I couldn't hear all of it. ]

Kim Dokja seemed bewildered, but Cale hummed thoughtfully, gaining their attention. "Makes sense. Secrets like that are bound to be kept under the rug by this world's rules."

"...I suppose you're right," Dokja sighed, his shoulders slumped in relief. Then he turned to Cale. "Seriously, what exactly are you going to do?"

The other two looked at the stoic man skeptically. Their uncomfortable feeling grew at the sight of Cale's widening grin.

"A shit show."

Kim Dokja tried not to shiver.

After that conversation, a few days quickly went by. The poisonous fog hasn't been lifted, but Dokja informed him that it'll be gone soon if the flow of Ways of Survival is correct, indicating people either finished the scenario or left. Cale spent most of his time rolling around the bed. He's going to move and work for once. But it's alright, he's convinced that he's doing this to secure his slacker life in the future. He's going to work his ass off so he can live a long peaceful life. Besides, it's not like he will gain nothing from this.

"Kang Gunwoo, take care of everyone for me," He spoke to the teary vice-leader of Gumho Shelter.

"Of course, Cale-nim," Gunwoo said, his voice cracking midway as he held himself back from exploding into tears.

The same couldn't be said for everyone else. Some of them were already crying out.

"Cale-nim, do you really have to go?"

"We won't see each other again?"

Cale observed people's faces closely, and he exhaled a breath he didn't know he was holding. "All of you can take care of yourselves now. The future scenarios will become more dangerous, but you've learned a lot of things, and you'll continue to grow as time passes. You can also stick together if you want to. Protect each other. Who knows? If you survive long enough, we might meet again."