Beginning of The End (1)

Something appeared in Cale's line of vision, as well as Namwoon's. It was similar to a hologram.

「With two small horns and wearing a small straw mat, the strange and fluffy creature was floating in the air. 」

「 It was too strange to call it a fairy, too evil to call it an angel, and too tranquil to call it a demon. 」

「Thus, it was called a 'dokkkaebi. 」

Namwoon's eyes shook, but Cale realized something.

'Since we're far from the big city, we're only getting a hologram instead of the dokkaebi itself. The creature is probably somewhere with a lot of people.'

[ Ahem, is this working? Ah, it is. ]

'And it's a completely new dokkaebi.'

Compared to the cowardly cruel Biryu or the passionate Bihyung, this one seemed calm.

The fur was cream-colored. Golden small antennas could be seen on top of his head. The sclera of his eyes were black, a clear contrast to the bright yellow pupils.

[ Hello, everyone. Relax and sit back as I explain everything. I won't bother with the ones who act out of line. I'll simply blow your heads off. Anyways- ]

The dokkaebi paused, and Cale assumed its probably listening to a human somewhere out of reach.

"Ahjussi, what's happening...?" Namwoon asked, gulping down his saliva and still unable to tear his gaze away from the view. When he received quietness, he turned to look at Cale, and to his confusion, the young black haired man was calm. If anything, he seems to be thinking to himself.

"Mm..." Cale hummed. When he opened his mouth to speak, he froze, eyes wide and pupils dilated.

"... Ahjussi?"

However, the said man couldn't hear the call, because a pang of headache struck his head as he clutched it, causing Namwoon to frown in worry and grabbing onto his shoulders to steady him.

The teen thought he saw it wrong after seeing a grin gradually forming. Contrary to his belief, thinking that Cale was about to faint from shock or feeling overwhelmed, the usually stoic man was smiling.

There was a wide joyful grin, and perhaps a hint of relief too.

Namwoon thought this man in front of him was going crazy. Even if Cale noticed, he couldn't bring himself to care.

Because familiar voices started screaming in his head.

— C-Cale? Cale! Can you hear us?!

— I think he can! Cale, are you alright?

— DID ANYONE XXX HURT YOU?

— We're sorry for disappearing. We felt extremely powerless the moment you got transported by the hunters...

— We're suddenly able to contact you now! We don't know what happened.

— Whoa, what is that creature?

— Can we eat it?

The pounding in his head stopped, but the voices wouldn't stop their chattering, and Cale finds that he doesn't mind it at all.

Perhaps deep down, he truly missed the occasional voices in his head that makes him feel like he's not alone.

He sat up straight again, and Namwoon made sure he was genuinely okay before they directed their attention back to the virtual screen.