How It Began (3)

10 days until the apocalypse...

A big giant piece of paper was sprawled onto a table in the middle of the room. Cale leaned forward, putting his weight onto his arms as he scanned the numerous scribbles and writings. Behind him, Eliezer was standing dumbfoundedly, the water rabbit on top of his shoulder.

"Hm... If it's like this... No, should I do that instead...?" Cale mumbled incoherently, oblivious to how the butler and the rabbit glanced at each other with conflicted and bewildered eyes.

"Um," Eliezer finally spoke, "young master-nim, isn't it about time you rest? You've stayed up since yesterday. I know how important planning for an apocalypse is but you shouldn't disregard your own health like this," He voiced out his concern.

Cale's face twisted into an odd expression. Since when was his well-being more important than a literal world's destruction?

The redhead tapped the wooden table with his index finger a few times before responding, eyes still glued to the paper, "I'm fine. As much as I want to slack off, it's better to be fully prepared so I won't have to do anything later."

Eliezer bit his lip, wanting to disagree, but if that's what Cale says, he couldn't do anything about it. His orders from the God of Death were to listen to everything Cale needs, after all.

However, the bunny hopped away from his shoulder, floating through the air before landing on the paper, right where Cale laid his gaze.

"Hm?" He raised an eyebrow. "What is it?"

The bunny's ear twitched, silently staring at him which caused him to frown.

"I said I'm fine."

Tilts head.

"I'm not lying."

A silent doubt.

Eliezer watched the interaction, unsure how to react. He has no idea as to why Cale seems to understand, and he didn't question it. Instead, he decided to lend the mute rabbit a hand. The butler stepped forward, wiping his human liege's face which was strangely warm and covered in sweat. "Young master-nim, I heard you like reading. How about visiting the public library? It recently went through construction, so I think it'd be good to check it out."

"The library?" Cale repeated to himself, contemplating it. "Hm, alright. That's not a bad idea.

"Then would you like us to prepare the car this time?"

He deadpanned. "And then have everyone freak out once they realized they couldn't see the driver?"

Yes. The driver was unfortunately another ghost. A man who died in a car crash and is now tied to a limousine until he successfully drove humans to their destination safely three times before he could peacefully pass.

"I can assure you, young master-nim! Nothing bad will happen! The windows are very dark, no one will pay any attention to them. Trust me!" Eliezer insisted, his eyes sparkling.

"... Haaa," He sighed, "Do what you want."

Ten minutes later, he was already inside the moving car, the water rabbit in his pocket. His expression was stoic, which isn't new, as he listened to a man talking cheerfully.

"I've been waiting for the day to drive you, young master-nim! You have no idea how happy I am!" The driver said, a bright grin decorating his face.

"... Just be quiet."

"Of course, sir!"

At that moment, Cale didn't know how the man felt a deep sense of gratitude, knowing he was one step closer to finally being able to rest and meet his family.