forty four

Briar

It had been a few months after my initial appointment the OBGYN, and the baby was already the size of a head of cabbage, as I was 32 weeks pregnant today.

But I had been having braxton hicks, so I was going to the doctor to make sure everything was okay. Vaughn was upset because this was the first appointment he had to miss, he had an unmissable work thing, but he sent a few security guards with me in his stead. I offered a hundred times to reschedule, but he reassured me that the health of the baby and I came before his wants.

So I decided to leave the estate early, that way I could stop to get a decaffeinated iced coffee in the downtown area, and go to the baby store that was located next door. When we arrived to the little coffee shop, my one security guard that was with me, went to the bathroom, while the other stayed in the car that waited out front.

I went to the counter and after I was done ordering my iced white mocha, I realized I didn't have any money on me. Vaughn didn't want me carrying cash or a card when I was out without him for safety reasons, and the security guard currently in the bathroom had it.

Once the barista started looking at me expectingly, I started turning red, "Oh, um, I forgot my wallet." I tried to laugh off my embarrassment, as I felt my face and ears burning. The barista said and did nothing, and I went to leave the line, when I heard a soft voice from behind me, "Oh I got it. Go ahead and put it on mine."

A young girl around my age stepped up to the counter beside me, while smiling at the barista, "You can just add her drink to my order."

She added on two extra drinks to the order, and I was stuck in a trance. She was beautiful, with light hair and a button nose, and just like me she sported a large, pregnant belly.

"Oh no, please. I couldn't." I shook my head quickly breaking out of my silence, "Please, you don't have too, my security g... friend," I quickly amended. "He has my husbands card, and I don't-he's in the bathroom." I spun my head around, as she stuck her card in the reader.

"Not to worry," She gave me a wink. "It's happened to me too," She playfully rolled her eyes, while swatting her hand in the air. "It's the pregnancy brain, I swear."

"Well, thank you. I really appreciate it." I smiled, and nodded down toward her belly. "Is this your first?" I asked, and she nodded, before we made our way to the end of the counter, "Yeah, yours too?"

"It is." I smiled and ran a hand over my belly, and she went to talk again, but a young man with blonde hair came up behind her, interrupting her next words. "What's going on, Ezra?"

"Oh she forgot her card, so I treated her to her coffee. Girls helping girls, and all that fun stuff." She smiled at him, and I let out an awkward chuckle, "I told her she didn't have too. She insisted." I told him, not wanting him to think I was mooching off this stranger.

"Oh don't you worry," He tossed his arm around her, "I know exactly how she is. Too nice for her own good."He teased.

I smiled. "Is this the father?" I asked, gesturing to the man beside her, and she shook her head with a laugh, "Oh lol, my husband would die if he heard that. No, this is Donnie. He's my best friend."

"She wishes, though." Donnie barked out a laugh, "But I unfortunately I love dick." He joked, and feigned a sad face.

"That makes two of us." I added, and the two in front of me giggled. Donnie pointed at me, "I love her already!" He cheered, then looked between the both of us. "Damn, but look at the two of you, all giant and pregnant. Remind me not to drink the water around you guys." He joked, and she slapped his shoulder.