eleven

Vaughn

After almost a whole week of searching, Thomas Crenshaw was still nowhere to be found. We checked his bank accounts, traffic cameras, and frequently visited spots. It was like he had completely disappeared, and I couldn't figure out exactly why. He had no idea I was after him.

And that's how we ended up interrogating Oliver Mason, his boss.

"I swear to fucking God I have no idea where he is!" Oliver said the same thing for the fifth time, "I swear, I would tell you if I knew where he was at! Trust me, I wouldn't risk my life for that traitor of a man!"

I furrowed my brows, signaling Rich to stop yanking at his fingernails, "What do you mean 'traitor'?"

Oliver took a deep breath, probably relieved that he was keeping his other fingernails, and began talking, "Thomas left out of nowhere, and I've been looking for him everywhere! That motherfucker ran out on me too! I had him on a special assignment, and he's just abandoned it. Trust me, when I find that fucker I'll kill him myself!" Oliver rushed out, and I couldn't help but think he was telling the truth.

Realistically, there was no reason to not believe him. Don't get me wrong, I didn't trust a word that came out of that fat fuck's mouth. I knew Oliver, he was weak and scummy, and a terrible excuse of a Don. Which is why it wouldn't make sense for him to sacrifice himself for a man like Thomas. He was too selfish. 

But I wasn't naïve. I'll watch him. Keep tabs on him and his associates, and if I find any discrepancies, I'll kill the man with my own bare hands.

So with a quick cut to his restraints, I let Oliver know my trust was never coming, "If I find out you're lying or making contact with Thomas, I'll find your wife and family, and skin them alive in front of you. You even think about Thomas and I'll know. Thomas Crenshaw is dead to you."

Oliver stood up from his chair, and ran his hands over the marks the restraint had left, "I understand, Don," He told me, "But, may I ask what you need Thomas for?"

"No. Now get the fuck out." I told him, and two of my guards stepped up to him, and yanked the large man out the door.

Briar

It was late when I saw my bedroom door creak open. I peeked open one eye, trying to block out the light from the hallway shining in, when I saw a massive figure standing in the door way. Vaughn.

He stood still for several beats, lurking in the doorway like Michael Meyers or something. Why is he in here? Frankly, this was creeping me out a little bit.

He walked over to the side of the bed I was lying on, and I sat up, suddenly a little worried, "Um, can I help you?" I asked, and he didn't say anything. At least I think he didn't.

I started to grow uncomfortable. Vaughn has never came into my room before, and I was hoping this was for a good reason. I reached over to my nightstand and grabbed my hearing aid, "Vaughn, is there something wrong?"

I heard him let out a grumble, then watched as he ran a hand through his thick, dark hair, "Move over."

I let out a breath of relief that he wasn't mad, or planning to kill me, and did as he asked, moving over to make enough room for him. He sat beside me on the bed, and I pulled the sheets up with me, covering my chest.

I was wearing a thin tank top, I didn't need the girlies sneaking out and giving him a peep.

Vaughn looked down at me, and I gave him a shy smile. He reached over and took my hand in his, running his thumb over the back. My body reacted to his closeness, and I gave an involuntary shiver. But I didn't dwell on it long, because he began speaking in that deep voice of his that did things to me "Thomas Crenshaw is missing."