seven

Briar

After the giant man cleaned and bandaged my finger, he called to his office a young woman who looked to be right around my age.

He instructed her to take me to a spare bedroom in the east wing, which I could tell slightly surprised her, but she quickly recouped and gave him a firm, "Yes, Don."

The girl, whose name I learned was Gia, had very dark skin and long complex braids I was in awe of. Gia led me out of the man's office, and down a long hallway. I was about to ask her if she knew anything more about that man in the office, when she stopped outside of a large door.

She finally turned to speak to me for the first time, "This will be your bedroom for the duration of your stay," She told me in a mechanical voice, while opening the door that led to a bedroom, "Anything you need while you're here, you can ask me for it, I do a little bit of everything so please don't be afraid to bother me."

I gave her a nod, not sure of what to say, and followed her in. Gia walked to a small closet to pull out a washcloth and towel, and I took my chance to look around the fancy room.

It was very big in size, decorated with neutral tones, and better than anything I had as a child. It had what looked to be a queen sized bed that was strategically placed in the middle of the wall, and a dresser adjacent to it. The room also had a medium sized flatscreen mounted on the wall, and what I discovered was a walk in closet, and a en-suite bathroom. I looked out the window and saw I was two, maybe three stories off the ground.

Well, that beats climbing out the window.

Gia then handed the items to me, and walked over to show me the en-suite bathroom, which held a spacious shower and sink. She still hadn't really said anything to me, and I was starting to worry that I had done something wrong.

I was going to ask if she were okay, but she talked before I could, "I'll get you some clothes so you have something proper to change into." She told me, and promptly left the bathroom.

Before she shut the door I quickly shot out a, "Thank you very much." But wasn't sure if she heard me. I wasn't about to be rude to this girl. It wasn't her fault I was in this position, it was mine, so the least I could do was be kind.

Once the bathroom door was shut, I turned on the shower water and quickly took off my hearing aid, then the dirty dress that was once a vibrant yellow, but now was a faded, off yellow with dirt marks. Taking off my dress felt like a challenge, mostly because of the way my hands felt.

I looked down at them, and saw that they were various shades of black, yellow and green. They had been aching for a while now, but it was crazy to see how damaged they looked.

And even crazier I didn't know I had done it.

I took an extra long shower, making sure I was cautious of my hands, and properly cleaning the filth off my body. I found a toothbrush in the drawer by the sink, and brushed my teeth. I also looked for a hairbrush, but wasn't able to find one. Tangled hair it is.

Once I was done, I wrapped the towel around myself and left the bathroom. I was fully expecting the room to be empty, but I was surprised to see Gia sitting in the bed. I wrapped the towel tighter around myself, and she immediately stood up and handed me some clothes, while saying something I couldn't quite make out.

"I'm sorry, I don't have my hearing aid in," I informed her whilst tapping my ear, "Would you mind to speak a little louder?" I asked with a smile, and her face fell, "I'm so sorry, no one told me."

"It's okay." I assured her, and she spoke up this time, "You can have those clothes, sorry if they are a little small." She told me, "They were mine."

"No, it's all good. I really appreciate this." I told her with an uncontrollable smile, "It's better than walking around naked."