nineteen

Vaughn

As Briar and I walked in the auditorium where Boston's Children's Hospital charity event was being held, we were ushered to our seats at a large, round table. I placed my hand on the small of her back to guide her toward our table, and we settled in on the pristine cushioned chairs. I watched as Briar gave the immaculately decorated room a once over, and I placed a hand on her thigh, "Just give me a tap on the leg once you want to bid on something." I instructed her, and she quickly turned toward me, "Vaughn, no. You pick something." She deadpanned, "You've already gotten me too much today."

"Pick something, or I pick for you. And I'll get the most expensive thing I can buy."

She scoffed while rolling her eyes, "That should be a threat to your own wallet, not me."

I shook my head, "No, because what ever I buy for you, you're paying me back in other ways." I told her with a subtle grin, and she instantly turned toward me as she let out a startled laughed, her cheeks turning pink, "You're awfully presumptuous today, Mr. Beaumont." She whispered, and the corner of my mouth turned upward, "Be quiet and pick something out."

She rolled her eyes my words, and I listened in as the auctioneer started prattling on about the hospitals charity foundation, and what researched they needed the funding for. They started the auction and showed a few different vases, paintings and antiques, but nothing had caught Briars attention. 

That was until the auctioneer brought out a golden necklace with an emerald encrusted in the middle. The auctioneer described the necklace, stating it was authenticated by experts to have been made in Italy circa 1940, and I noticed Briar sat up a little straighter at the sight of it. 

"We start the bidding at one million." The auctioneer announced, and I looked over and saw her face. As soon as she got a good look at the golden necklace, I knew she wanted it. I waited a second for her to tap my thigh, but she never did, so I went ahead and put up the paddle. Stubborn little lamb.

As I figured it would, the necklace caught other peoples attention as well and I immediately knew that would not do. The auctioneer raised the price higher and higher, and more and more people fizzled out, until it was just me and another man.

"3.9 million." The auctioneer called out, and I raised my paddle again. Only this time, I heard a scoff, and didn't see another paddle stuck up into the air.

Serves that fuckin' prick right.

"Sold! To Mr Beaumont for 3.9 million." The auctioneer announced, and I felt Briar lightly kick me in the shin and whisper, "You better have gotten that necklace that for yourself."

"I sure did," I teased her with a serious face, and she reached over and yanked at my arm hair, and I relented, reaching out to pull her chair toward me, "Of course it's for you," I soothed, "Only you."

I gave her a kiss on the forehead, and she let out a large smile, and I decided to test the waters a little bit, "It's an investment," I explained, and she turned toward me while scrunching her face, "How so?"

I leaned down closer to her good ear, and wrapped my fingers around her thigh, "I buy you an expensive necklace, and then get to see you wearing it, with nothing else on."

She let out a shaky breath as I felt her squirm in her seat, "Be quiet." She deepened her voice to mock my earlier words, and I couldn't help but to grin at her reaction. She's not as immune to me as she thought she was.