thirty six

Vaughn

The moment I heard the familiar sound of gunshots ring out through the air, I instantly knew something was wrong. At the same time, Briar leaned her weight against me, grabbing onto the side of my suit coat as she let out a cry in fright. 

I knew she was scared, but I had to see what was going on. I tried to pry her off of me as I reached behind my back to pull out the gun that was resting in the waistband of my pants, and checked the number of bullets I had in the clip. My mind was running through protocol, and suddenly he gun shots stopped. 

I tried to maneuver my little wife backwards so I could go see what the fuck was going on, but when I placed my hand on her bicep, she let out a shriek. Her arm felt wet and warm to the touch.

I looked down, and my heart felt like it had stopped beating in my chest. 

Briars whole left arm was covered in blood, traveling down and leaking off of her fingertips and onto a growing puddle on the floor. I stayed silent, not wanting to comprehend what was in front of me. 

"I think it went though my bicep." Briar spoke in a small, pained voice and I snapped out of my shock instantly. I bent down in front of her to examine her further. I heard more yelling and commotion outside, but I knew I needed to prioritize.

I ripped off a bottom piece of my shirt, and with shaky hands I tied it around Briar's arm like a tourniquet. She had lost too much blood already. I sat her down on the coffee table, and I was about to tell her I was going to get Dr. Kreps when I heard a familiar voice yell from outside, and I knew it was Miles, "Don!"

"Sit right here and don't move, baby." I instructed her. "I'm going to go get Kreps. He'll fix you, okay?" I told her, and planted a kiss on her forehead and she nodded feverishly, "Okay, please hurry."

I opened the pool house door, and the scene in front of me was complete and utter chaos. Chairs and tables were flipped on their sides, and people were everywhere lingering about, clogging up the area. Knox was standing there with a few other men, but what caught my attention were the three men lying on the ground, hogtied and passed out. 

 One being Oliver Mason.

What the literal fuck has happened?! I was gone for three fucking minutes, for fucksake!

My first instinct was to go put my foot through that fat fucks skull, but I knew Briar was waiting on me.Oliver Mason could wait for what I had planned.

I ran a hand down over my cheek, only to realize I had smeared blood all over my face. Fucking fantastic. Miles was waiting for instruction, but I knew my first priority needed to be my wife, "Where's Kreps?" I demanded, knowing he was invited to the wedding.

"I'm here." I heard a familiar voice call out, and the ogling people cleared a path so he could pass by. He went straight into the pool house without asking any questions. I went to follow him but I turned toward Knox, "Give me a five second rundown."

Knox nodded his head, "Carter saw him and a few other men first. They were setting up equipment by the hill over there," Knox nodded backwards, "he was aiming to shoot you, but Carter intercepted and I think he clipped Mrs Beaumont."

I wanted to tell him no fuckin' shit he clipped her, her blood was all over my hands. But I refrained, and looked around for Carter, "Where's Carter now?"

"One of these fat fucks pulled a knife and got him in the abdomen, Kreps said it didn't hit anything vital so he left it in, and Carter insisted he go help Mrs Beaumont." Miles told me, then he stepped closer, out of ear shot of the lingering crowd, "It's stated in the bylaws that if the Don is killed and he has no heir, the title can legally be passed down to the man who killed him." Miles told me, "I think that's what he was going for."

"He wants my wife and title?" I stated, my own rage beginning to unsettle me, "He'll have to fucking kill me for it, and so far he's done quite a shitty fuckin' job." I sneered, and looked back toward Miles, "Get everyone the fuck out of here." I motioned toward the crowd that was slowly dispersing, "Kill the two with him, and when I get back, you know where I want to see him."

"Yes Don," Miles nodded his head, "Is Mrs Beaumont okay?"

I had no idea if she were okay or not, so I opted to say nothing. 

"Clean this up." I told no one in particular, and I went back in the pool house. Dr. Kreps had a small medical kit laid open, and a whole bunch of wrappers and medical items sprawled about on the table and bench. Briar was as pale as a ghost, and looked like she was about to faint, but still she let out a weakened smiled as soon as she saw me.

The moment I was at her side, Dr. Kreps immediately informed me of her condition, "So we have some good news." He told me with a smile on his face that I knew was for Briars benefit, "The bullet was a through and through, so there's no need to go in and dig around." He told me, and I furrowed my brows. "What about the blood?" I asked, looking around the pool house like it was something out a horror movie, "She's lost a ton of it."

Of course over the years I've seen countless men shot, been shot myself, and killed my own fare share, but never once have I ever paid attention to how much blood was lost. Now, however, was a whole different story.

"I know it looks like a lot of blood, but this is probably the best case scenario in terms of blood loss." He told me, "You saved her a transfusion with the makeshift tourniquet. We'll keep an eye on it, but just incase, do you know the both of your blood types?"

"She's type B, and I'm O Negative so if she needs blood transfusion-" I started, but Kreps shook his head, "I don't think it will come to that, Don. But it's better to be prepared and safe than to be sorry."

I agreed, and Kreps let out a deep breath, changing into a different pair of gloves, "I'm going to go ahead and give her a sedative, plus a numbing agent and then get her stitched up," He told me, and I nodded my head, "Do what you have to."

I sat down onto the table by Briars side, and she instinctively buried her face into my shoulder as Kreps began cleaning the wound. I felt like a boulder was in my chest when I heard Briars small voice, "In sickness and in health, yeah?" She asked, as a tear leaked from her eyes. I gave her hand a squeeze, "Without a doubt." I reassured her, "And when you're all better, I'm going to take you on the best honeymoon," I raised her free hand to my mouth, planting a kiss on the back of her hand, "Anywhere you want to go, we'll do it." I tried to lift her spirits, but I could tell she was slowly nodding out of it.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, my love, and I can't wait to start our future together." I told her, a deep aching in my chest as she had a glazed over look in her eye.

She didn't say anything for a moment, and then a smile cracked on her beautiful face, "Sorry about that blowjob." She let out a laugh, and I couldn't help but frown, "Are you high?" I asked, and she smiled lazily, "Yeah, my toes feel funny and I think I'm a little sleepy." She said, as she closed her eyes.

"Briar?" I tried to wake her back up, worried something was wrong, but Kreps interrupted me "She's fine," He assured me, "It's the sedatives. Makes you feel drunk for a minute, then knocks you out cold."

I felt a lump form in my throat as Briar became deadweight against me, but I kept calm as he stitched her arm. Once he was done, he pulled off his gloves and placed on new ones, and began to wrap her arm up in some gauze, "The only concern I have at this point would be some type of infection," He told me, "So make sure you keep it clean, and watch out for any signs such as pus, swelling, fever and redness spreading from the wound."

I gave a firm nod, not able to say any words at the moment.

"I can stay overnight in a spare room, just incase?" He asked and I nodded, "I'd really appreciate that, doctor. Thank you." I told him, and he gave me a pat on the back. I listened as Kreps began cleaning up the medical equipment, the sounds of crumbling packaging filling my ears. 

After a minute, I picked Briar up bridal style to take her to our room, so she could lie comfortably in our bed. When I stood up, Dr. Kreps suddenly stopped moving. He spoke, his voice set in the most serious tone I've ever heard from him, "Don?" He asked. 

I turned to face him. His face was set in a firm line, "Kill that motherfucker slowly."

•••

What do you think Vaughn will do?!