thirty

Briar

The day after we got back from vacation, Vaughn had to leave the estate for work. 

It was just a tiny bit nice to have a few hours to myself, but it did suck that I wouldn't have Vaughn around for the day. Like usually I liked to pester him during lunch, but I wasn't able to today, which was a total bummer. 

So instead of eating lunch with him, I was eating my celery with onion dip in the kitchen, playing some murder mystery game on my phone to pass the time. I was about to finish finding another clue, when Rich rushed into the kitchen, his eyes instantly locking with mine.

I internally rolled my eyes, what crawled up his butthole?

Usually Rich just ignored my whole entire existence, or gave me a half assed greeting if Vaughn was around. I knew from his rude glares, and disinterested attitude that he didn't like me much, but I didn't care for him either.

So it confused the literal nuts out of me when I realized he was making a beeline in my direction.

As soon as he reached my, he took the top of my arm in his grasp, "Ms James!" He rushed out in a frantic voice, and I tried but failed to bring my arm back toward my body, "What's going on?" I asked. The look on his face told me something was off, and I instantly got a bad vibe, "Is everything okay?" I asked again.

He was silent for a couple of beats as he looked around the kitchen, "I'm afraid not. There's been a breach in security at the estate, and Don Beaumont has asked me to take you to him."He told me, and I felt my heart drop to my stomach at his brutal words. I jumped off the kitchen stool to follow after him, but I just couldn't shake the feeling something was off.  As I closely observed Rich, I took in how sweaty he was, and the way his eyes flitted all around. He's nervous. 

I rechecked my phone to make sure Vaughn hadn't called or texted me, and when I knew he hadn't, instantly knew something wasn't right. Thing is, I had been stuck in some terrible situations before. I wasn't letting my guard down with anyone besides Vaughn. So before I went with him, I asked him a question, "What kind of security breach was it?" 

"There's no time to explain," He told me, and started pulling my arm again. I wasn't moving easily, which made him let out a deep, irritated breath, like I was the one being irrational.

At the same time, he raised his voice while jerking me once more, "Oliver Mason knows you're here, and he's going to come and fucking kidnap you! Now let's go, damn it!" He gripped my arm harder, but I felt his hand shaking while holding onto me. I started walking with him, but after a second I faltered.

Vaughn told me that Oliver had no idea that I'm living here.

Oliver knew I was missing, yeah, but there was no way he knew I was here. Matter of fact, didn't Vaughn say that Oliver had to of been tipped off about him catching Thomas? He thought someone squealed. But he didn't know who that someone could be.

"C'mon, Ms James. We need to go." He began yanking my arm again, and I looked over at his angry face, and I immediately connected the dots. Holy. freaking. shit.

Rich could've told Oliver that I was here. He also could've told Oliver that Vaughn kidnapped Thomas, and that Thomas told us Oliver's plan. Rich could've told Oliver every single thing.

I tried to quickly think this out, but it wasn't making sense. Why would Rich do this? Was it because of me? Did he despise me so much as to betray Vaughn?

But the why didn't matter. I needed to figure out a way to get out of this. I knew Rich wasn't going to back down, and oddly enough, none of the security guards were around. I guess it was up to me. I mustered up the best acting skills I could, and with a thick swallow I turned on the facade of a damsel in distress, "Am I going to be okay?" I asked, making my voice sound shaky, "Oliver's not going to hurt me, right?" I asked, reaching out to grab his forearm.