fourteen

Briar

I was livid. I had never been so angry before in my life. Even when I was freaking kidnapped, and shoved into a concrete room the size of a closet. I was upset, yeah, but now? I was fuming.

Once I yanked my arm out of Vaughn's grasp, I walked straight out of the dining hall and through the front door. I made a split decision, and headed toward the most peaceful place on this estate, the dock on the lake.

It was freezing cold outside, especially being so early in the morning, but at this point I didn't care. If I don't calm down, I'll go back in that house and kill Vaughn myself.

Vaughn, I repeated his name in my head with an eye roll. Big, stupid mafia don Vaughn. The most hypocritical, indecisive and brutish man I've ever met. Like, one second he's all calling me 'little lamb', snuggling me and holding my hand, and the next second he pushes me up against a wall, and puts a knife to my throat? Honestly? That man can suck a big, fat frog.

I walked onto the long, ancient dock that reached into the middle of the lake, and sat on the very edge. The wood felt almost frozen under me, and I crossed my arms over my chest, trying to retain some warmth. I looked up from the water and I could see my breath in the morning air, as well as dainty snow flurries falling from the sky.

I wish I would've thought to change out of this stupid dress before I stormed out of the door.

But the longer I sat out there, the more I really regretted my outfit. But it wasn't like I knew Vaughn was going to act like a nut and I would have to sit outside and sulk for twenty minutes. But still, I didn't want go back in just yet. I wanted to sit out here and be petty, but I couldn't feel my fingers and toes, so I had a decision to make. Back in I go.

When I stood up and readjusted my dress, I heard his loud, booming voice, "Briar! What the hell are you doing?!" He demanded, and I was startled by his voice. I heard Vaughn yelling my name again, and I guess he decided he was ready for round two, or maybe he was out here to kill me once and for all.

Honestly, both worked for me at this point.

I turned around, ready to yell at him but as soon as I took a step, my foot went through a piece of the soft wood, and the last thing I felt was myself plunge straight into the ice cold water.

Vaughn

As soon as I gathered my bearings, and calmed down a little, I followed out of the dining hall behind Briar. I searched around the mansion for several minutes, hoping Briar wasn't stupid enough to go where I thought she was. But once I couldn't find her, I had a good guess as to where she'd be.

As soon as I walked the couple minute distance to the lake, I saw my little lamb standing out on the dock, no coat, no hat, no anything but that barely there dress. Fuck, she'll get sick sitting out here, does she not even care about her health?

My anger was beginning to surface again as I yelled out across the lake, "Briar, what the hell are you doing?" I raised my voice, thinking of ways I can punish my little fucking lamb for being out here in the cold so long.

I yelled her name again, and saw her take a step forward, her face as enraged as mine. But then I watched as her foot fell right through the wood in the dock, and then her go straight into the water underneath.

"Briar!" I bellowed, adrenaline instantly coursing through my pounding veins. I had about a hundred thoughts plowing through my head at that same moment, but the most important was that she can't swim.