forty

Briar

Vaughn and I were honeymooners.

Or were we honeymooning?
Didn't matter.

After months of intense physical therapy to make sure my arm was moveable, we finally got to do the newly-wedded tradition.

And now that my arm was back to normal, well, semi normal, I was approved to go on vacation. I still had a weird, pink puckered scar that would probably be there for the rest of my life, along with a slight pain when I moved my arm too fast, but I would take my recovery as a win.

And now, we were honeymooning somewhere in the Caribbean, but I wasn't exactly sure where, but Vaughn knew so I wasn't sweating it. Our house for the week was overwhelmingly luxurious, a large lanai overlooking the pool and beyond that the beach, with vast mountains surrounded by lush greenery.

Vaughn and I had just arrived to our destination a few minutes prior, and dusk was rapidly approaching. I was walking around, exploring the large house, when I felt Vaughn's presence behind me.

"I have a gift for you, little lamb." He approached me from behind, his voice stern and serious. I turned toward him, his demeanor dark, and while he had nothing in his hands, I knew he wasn't messing around.

I motions toward his crotch, trying to lighten his mood, "As much as I love you, please don't tell me your penis is my gift." I chuckled at my own joke, as a small Vaughn-like grin appeared on his lips.

"C'mere."

I walked closer toward him, and he reached toward his back pocket, pulling out a small cloth bag that made a clinking noise.

Once handed to me, I curiously peeked inside at the contents, and saw there was an array of several different gaudy, chunky rings, almost like those class rings you'd buy from a high school. I craned my neck to look up at him, "What are these?"

Vaughn knew my jewelry preferences, and gaudy, chunky and silver weren't on my list.

"Oliver Mason's rings." He simply said.

uh okay? whatever that means.

"What?"

"A wedding present. A man threatens your wife, and you bring her the fingers with his rings." He told me nonchalantly, like he was speaking of the weather.

"You already gave me a wedding present," I reminded him, "and the Briar James foundation was better than anything I could have ever asked for-" I started, but he interrupted grabbing my jaw to silence me.

"It's tradition." He told me, planting a small kiss on my puckered lips.

"Please tell me human fingers are not anywhere near me." I tried to joke, and he grinned, "No."

He let go of my face, and I placed the rings on the coffee table, and turned back toward him, grabbing his tie, "Let's do it out on the lanai."

"Whatever you want." He grinned down at me, unbuttoning the buttons on his pristine, white shirt.

Vaughn insisted that we have a full 'do over' for our honeymoon. And because of that, he got a new tux, because his last one covered was covered in blood, courtesy of me, and I got a new dress.

Vaughn took me to the bedroom, and sat me on the bed, bending down to kneel in front of me. He carefully helped me unhook the buckles on my shoes, sliding them off my feet. As he stood to his full height, he ran his palm up my leg, teasing me, making goosebumps appear on my skin. "Turn around." He demanded.