forty three

Vaughn

I elected to cut our vacation short and go straight home. Briar was upset the whole night after the pregnancy test came back positive, and the next morning she got so worked up she made herself sick, so I decided we needed to leave.

As soon as the plane landed, we went straight to emergency department to meet with Dr Kreps so he could preform our ultrasound, hopefully easing Briar's anxiety in the process.

"I'd say you're measuring right around nine weeks, or a little over two months." Dr Kreps explained, as he pulled the wand off Briars stomach, before wiping the gel off. I helped her place her shirt back down past her naval, and Briar made a move to sit up, leaning a part of her weight against me.

"That's pretty far along." Briar responded, as her lip began wobbling, tears forming in her eyes. She buried her face into my back, and I let out a sigh, "She's upset because of the unorthodox things we did before we knew she was pregnant." I filled the doctor in, and Kreps nodded his head and opened his mouth to speak, but Briar interrupted him.

"I got into the hot tub and I drank alcohol." Briar let out in a half cry, and I waited for Kreps to make a face, or saying something out of line at her admissions. But he said nothing, just smiled, "It's not as uncommon as you'd think." He told us, "I see it all the time. It's like the moment someone decide to have an alcoholic drink with dinner one night out of the blue, they find out they are pregnant. It's typically not a huge deal, as long as you don't make it a habit."

Silent tears were still falling from her beautiful eyes, and I wiped them away before she could.

"I jumped off a cliff and into the water." She told him once she got her bearings, and I looked toward Kreps who had a sympathetic smile on his face.

"Okay, less common," He let out a chuckle, "but the fetuses heartbeat is fine. Your body is designed to protect the fetus, there is plenty of layers of protection between your belly and the baby. Fetuses in utero are more resilient than we think, with the amniotic sac keeping it protected." He explained, and Briar started calming down.

"But again, no bad habits." He clarified, "What other questions do you have?" He looked at both of us, "About any symptoms, or anything?"

"I've been just a tiny bit emotional," She admitted, and I wanted to say she had been a little more than a tiny bit emotional, but then that would probably make her emotional, so I refrained from saying so.

"Very normal. Your body is going through all these changes, it's natural. It's just your hormones." He reassured us, then looked down at the paper on the clipboard in his hands.

"Do we have more questions?" He asked.

"We can still have sex?" I confirmed, and I knew Briars eyes probably bulged out of her skull, but her health and the baby's health were more important.

"Yes, Mr Beaumont. It's completely safe to have intercourse." Kreps filled in, "Is that all the questions?" He asked, and we both said yes.

"Alright then. I'll refer you an old friend of mine from med school, an actual OBGYN for your future appointments. I'll send over the scans and forms, and get you guys in contact with Dr. May. She's the best in the field. I promise."

"Sounds like a plan." I reassured him, and I looked down to Briar who looked a lot less green, "Yes, doctor. Thank you."

"You're welcome." He smiled at my wife, "Just remember to get plenty of rest, sleep and eat when your body tells you to. Also, make sure you move around regularly. It won't feel like it at the time, but the more you move around the bigger you get, the better you feel in the long run."