twenty nine

Briar

I was sad when we left our villa in Greece. We had such an amazing week, between Vaughn being off work and sightseeing all over the island, we had so much fun. So, when it was time to head home, I was pretty bummed. Then Vaughn promised he would take me somewhere just as special for our honeymoon, and I couldn't help but look forward to that. 

We flew out of Greece on a ritzy private jet that I learned belonged to Vaughn, and when we landed at the airport, there was a car waiting for us on the tarmac. It was very nice car that I had never seen before, with what looked like a small bull logo on the front. It also happened to look like something out a marvel movie, and it was driven by a young man that looked to be no older than twenty. He went to hand Vaughn the keys, but I stopped him, and looked toward Vaughn, "Can I drive?"

The young man narrowed his eyes while letting out a condescending laugh, "Have you ever even driven a car before?"

I held back an eye roll, "I have my drivers license." I told him, but I was never going to tell him I have only ever driven just a few times. We were in Boston after all, so it's not like driving is all that common.

The young man's eyes widened as he looked to Vaughn, "You're going to let her drive? That car is worth more than-" Vaughn held up his palm to the young man, "Stop speaking."

The young man did as asked, and Vaughn led me to the drivers side of the car. He opened the door and leaned over to help me buckle in. When he walked around to get into the passenger seat I heard him get the young man's attention, "If you ever talk to her like that again, you'll be missing your kneecaps." He told him, and tossed what looked like a stack of money at him. I chuckled. Such a Vaughn move.

He got into the car with me and reached over to grab my face, squashing my cheeks between his rough hands, "You don't have to ask permission to drive a car, baby." He reassured me, "What's mine is yours. Now tell me you understand." He demanded, and I nodded while leaning over to give him a sweet kiss, "I understand. Thank you."

I only ended up driving ten minutes before I got too overwhelmed with traffic. So when we got home soon after our less than smooth drive, courtesy of me, Vaughn got our luggage out of the trunk while I went inside to see my babies. Gia was sitting on a stool in the kitchen, and I squealed when I saw her, "Hi!" I squeaked, and Gia stood up, "Oh my gosh, you got tan!" She cheered with an ecstatic smile that matched mine, "Ah! I know!"

It was on the tip of my tongue to ask Gia about my cats, when Rich walked into the kitchen. He gave me a once over, before giving me a distasteful look. "Miss James. You're back." He observed, a slight grimace on his face. 

Now, I'd known for a while now that Rich wasn't fond of me, even more so since getting engaged to Vaughn. I had been planning to tell Vaughn about it, but I kept forgetting to mention it. Plus, I didn't want to come off as a huge baby, crying to Vaughn every time someone disliked me. I mean, I was an adult. I could manage. 

So I flashed Rich a wary smile, "Yeah, Vaughn and I both."

He didn't say anything in return, just left the kitchen without getting anything. 

"What a weirdo." Gia spoke up from beside me, and I nodded my head in agreement with her, "Yeah, total weirdo."

After a few minutes of telling Gia about our activities on our trip, Vaughn walked into the kitchen and came over to us. He leaned down to plant a kiss on my forehead, "I'm going to head up to my office. Come up when you're done talking." He instructed, wrapping a thick arm around my waist, and I pulled at his arm hair, "Yes sir."

I turned back toward Gia, "Where's Penelope?" I asked, and she pointed upstairs, "They are all in their bedroom."

Yes, Vaughn let them have their own bedroom. He claims it was to get them out of our hair, but I think he's just a big ole' marshmallow.