Chapter Two - Moving To New York

When I grew up to the age of sixteen, both my grandmother and grandfather sadly died. I was always inspired by the courage of my grandmother, I am proud of her. I always kept remembering her life story, it made me more responsible and caring.

I was a person that embraced the English language and the theatre. I spent years studying several subjects to finally become accepted into the University of my country to finally begin the course of graduating as an English teacher. 

But I was also participating in many performances in the theatre, not just acting in plays but also singing and dancing. But I mostly enjoyed spending my time acting in the theatre. My mother always used to try to decrease my courage and my love for English and acting, she always used to say that I am stupid, that I will never succeed, but I still tried and never gave up.

I told many people of my experiences and of my mother’s expectations towards me. They all used to compliment me by saying what a brave growing woman I am. Always saying that I should be proud of myself and ignore my mother’s words. But for some reason I always used to listen to her, I never was proud of what I was, of the woman I was, but it never made me give up on trying to succeed on my hopes and dreams.

Sometimes I enjoy acting because I always feel like as if I’m a whole different person, you’re not being you, you’re being someone else. Sometimes I used to enjoy acting as a teacher or someone educative to impress my mother, not just of my roles but of my experience of acting, but they never impressed her.

I participated in so many plays which I am proud of, in action, adventure, romance, horror, thriller, fantasy, mystery, science, history, classical and other types of plays. I had so much experience, when I was finally accepted in the University of my country to begin the course of graduating as an English teacher, I knew that there was no hope in my country to advance myself in the theatre and performance studies.

So that’s when I decided to leave the country and begin my studies to become a star in the theatre, and where’s the best known place to go to to become a star? New York, that’s where I was accepted in a school to begin my work. And I swore that when I succeed or not in my new goal, I would come back and still continue my studies to finally graduate as an English teacher.

My mother didn’t care of where I was going but my sister did, she didn’t want me to go, she always gave me courage to continue my dreams, but she never wanted me to go to another country. She graduated as a history teacher but couldn’t find anywhere to work since there were a few job opportunities in my country, so she decided to come with me and begin working in New York while I study.

She never wanted to study all of her life and struggle in stress to graduate as a history teacher for nothing. My sister is the stressful type of person, my country had low opportunities to advance in certain things, studies and to find a job. That was the perfect idea for both of us to go to New York.