5. The house

《《 I feel okay when I see you smile
~ Ruth B 》》

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

We went around to see my previous home. It was still the same but recently after I had started working and getting my salary, I spent a decent amount of money on repairing the house.

"This location is peaceful isn't it? No one to disturb you and you can just go on living without other neighbours to disturb you" said Pari, while seeing the green trees and farmlands surrounding the house.

"Yeah, it is way too peaceful so that you won't get help even if you scream your lungs out if you were in trouble" I replied.

"Why would anyone need help here though? It's not like you are going to be robbed or something anytime soon" she sounded confused.

Everything might have turned out different, if only there were people that night to respond to our screams. I keep stopping myself from thinking things like these, but I can't help myself.

"Um... Advik are you alright? What's wrong?" she asked but I was surprised because of her questions.

"Why would you ask that?" I was confused.

She stepped forward towards me and raised her fingers and was about to touch my cheeks. Quickly I took a step backwards and touched my own cheek.

There was a tear. I wiped it off as my eyes met with hers.

" I actually saw you wipe your tears off even in the temple. What is it? You can tell me" she looked worried.

"It's nothing really. Let's get inside and we should return back soon. Your parents might be worried". I tried to brush off this topic hoping to change the subject.

"Hey, please stop trying to change the subject. I just see that you are struggling with things and thought I could help you out" she voiced her concerns.

"This is as I told you earlier about my childhood house. I lived here with my parents while I was still just a child. When I was around seven, one day everything changed. On one night suddenly out of the blue we were attacked in our home. A man broke into our home while everyone was asleep except me. I had to pee so I went to the backside of the house to the bathroom. I heard the sounds and was scared so I stayed hidden. I heard my mom screaming to the guy to not to kill me. She even screamed to me to stay just where I was and run away if I could. I stayed at the same place till the sun rose. Then I saw my parents dead bodies and a lot of money had pooled in on the floors" I felt my warm tears streaming down my cheeks.

She came closer and just hugged me and I hugged back. I bent my head down into her crook of her neck. We both stood there without making a move or saying anything.

We both were spooked when a bark was heard. We got space between us as we saw a puppy looking at us. The puppy had been wagging its tail. It came near us and looked with pleading eyes.

That was enough for both of us to break apart of our hug and to bring smiles on our faces.

We fed the puppy with a few biscuits and milk. I asked if my grandma could adopt it and fortunately she was happy to.

We said our goodbyes and decided to return.

The sun had gone down and the sky was getting darker. We were in my car and she sat in the passenger side.

"Thanks" I smiled at her as I kept driving.

"For what?" she smiled back.

"You know, like asking me if I was fine and comforting me without questioning much or showing the usual sympathy people throw at you at times like that" I said as she nodded slowly.

"Yeah, it's okay. I am just happy that I could help you" she said.

"I had never said these things to anyone and I felt they were weighing me down. I actually feel better after putting them off my chest" I always kept people unaware of such personal things but somehow Pari had made me comfortable.

"I... I.. Can I ask you something? About the incident you told me earlier" she had concern in her eyes about some things.

"Okay, just one question. Fire it" I said, worried about what she might ask.

"What happened to the guy who killed your parents and did you see his face?" Her question certainly made my blood boil. Not because of the question itself but because of the incidents after that.

"I did see his face and I helped the police with a sketch. Still the murderer got away with it before the police catch up to him" I was now holding the streering wheel soo thightly that my knuckles had turned white.

After that we both stayed silent for the rest of the ride.

We reached the marriage ceremony hall but she had fallen asleep against the window.

I slowly tapped her shoulder and tried waking her up. She stirred her head and opened her eyes. We both went our ways from there after saying goodnight.

But there were people from both of our sides running around. They seemed worried and in a hurry about something.

" Hey aunt, what's happening? Is everything alright? " I asked her as I met her near the stairs.

"Where the fuck have you been? Huh? Do you even care about why you are here?" she had been clearly crying but now she was fully triggered by my questions for some unknown reason.

"Rohith and her, Swathi have been missing since we got back from the temple in the afternoon. We can't seem to contact them and no one knows where they are?" that's when I guessed what might have happened.

Rohith had not been happy with the arranged marriage. I remember he had a girlfriend. But what of the bride was she sad about this too? I wondered.

⊙°•⊙°⊙•⊙°⊙•⊙°⊙•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•

THANK YOU FOR READING

HOPE YOU LIKED IT

SHOW SOME LOVE BY VOTING AND YOUR THOUGHTS IN COMMENTS

⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°°⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙°•⊙