Chapter 10: +20 XP Gained

"What was that," I whispered quietly to Rowan as we both ducked behind the desk.

"I t-think s-somebody's w-with u-us," he responded, sweat wetting his eyebrows.

"Breathe."

"R-right."

While Rowan was calming himself down, I decided to speak to Hope.

Who's in here with us?

So, turns out... your village isn't the only group that tries to protect the swords.

What?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it has something to do with Robert.

"Holy crap, t-that guy's huge!" I heard Rowan whisper.

I looked over to see he was peeking over the desk. I immediately pulled him down to keep from him being seen.

"Crap. Crap. Crap. T-they've come back for m-me," he said, breathing heavily.

"How thick do you think that glass is," I asked, looking at the glass pane to the left of the door.

"H-how is that important right- Ohhh, I s-see."

"The moment they enter the room, tell me."

"A-alright."

I grabbed a small metal ball out of my belt, and then squeezed it, causing it to activate. A red light flashed; not very bright, but enough for me to know it was working. I then threw the ball against the window to the left of the door, causing it to stick. As the ball started transforming, I ducked down, waiting for Rowan's signal.

"W-wait, how will they not see the d-device?"

"The glass is one-way, so we can see outside but they can't see inside," I said as I pulled out the trigger for the device.

"W-why would someone build t-that, let alone have access to t-that kind of glass?"

"My guess, Robert is part of the family that found the Swords of Creation, and just like Robert, his ancestors were hiding from the world, planning on taking it over. They didn't want anybody seeing the swords except for a select few, for fear of their most powerful weapons being stolen."

Wow. And I thought I was smart.

"Y-you picked all that up f-from 'the glass is one-way'?"

Well, I am the 5th smartest person in the world.

"The whole thanksgiving thing also helped with it."

"He's c-coming in."

"Alright, Rowan, as soon as he starts walking around the desk, we'll go the opposite direction until we're on the right side of the desk. Then I'll activate the device, causing the glass to shatter, which will distract him."

"W-what then?"

"I... we'll have to kill him. I'm sorry, but it's the only way."

"H-how do we k-know that man is e-even evil?"

"Do you really wanna take that risk?"

Rowan was silent.

"Alright, time to move."

We crouched around to the left of the desk while the man went around to the right, trying to find us presumably.

"Ah, the swords of creation. I'll come back for you two later."

I guess that makes things easier on the three of us, knowing he isn't after them, Hope said.

Yeah, I guess so, I responded.