Chapter 46: Why I Love Him

After a long process of using the attack bunker to kill hundreds of the invading soldiers, eventually, the warfare stopped.

I used the cameras to make sure their was no remaining soldiers, and then I used a gauntlet to teleport back inside the barn's living room, before plopping down in the soft chair in the corner of the living room, and sighing.

I sat there in silence, for several minutes, until that silence was interrupted by an unmistakable voice. "How's my second son doing?"

"Father," I said, acknowledging his presence.

...

My father said nothing, just smiling as he looked out the window. So, I broke the silence, asking him "Why the constant attacks? I mean, I can understand trying to keep the illusion alive, but aren't you wasting recourses and men?"

"Son, listen. When you're as powerful and as smart as me, you can make these resources faster than Steve can learn things."

Father walked closer to the window, past the wooden chair, and slowly inspected his reflection.

"But won't Steve figure out this is all an act? He's smart."

"I think I feel a mustache coming on... I hate mustaches."

"Father, are you even listening?"

My father looked at me, frowning, and said "I know how to multitask son."

Continuing, he said "And to answer your question, as long as he sees himself as a threat to me, I'll continue attacking."

...

"You wanna know something, son," he said as he continued inspecting his appearance.

"W-what?"

"Steve believes that his ability to use the swords is connected to his emotions... but he's wrong."

"Then... w-what are they connected t-to?"

...

"His ability to be corrupted."

"H-huh?"

"Let me explain. You see, it can only be used when a warrior is unwilling to join the other side. It's my final failsafe, which makes it so, as long as the warrior is fully dedicated to their side, they can use the power of the swords."

"B-but, Steve still has trouble u-using them."

My father looked up, in the direction of our attic, then me, before saying "Because you're still around."

"H-huh?"

"As long as you're still around, he'll still be 'corruptible'. As long as you're around, some part of him will be willing to join my side, if it means protecting you."

"I-I'm the one thing holding him b-back?"

"Yes. As long as he knows you're alive, he'll still have trouble using the swords' power."

"I... so, keeping me alive is your t-top p-priority?"

My father stared out the window for several minutes, but eventually, without even glancing at me, he said "Yes."

...

"SHUT UP," I heard Steve yell from the attic.

"You should probably check on him," father said.

I quickly got up from the chair, ran up the stairs, and climbed up the attic ladder, to see Steve sitting down on the ground and crying. I immediately ran up to him, sat down with him, and held him by the head and waist to comfort him.

I saw Steve trying to hug me back, but he lacked the energy. So, I told him "Shh... shh... you don't have to hug me back. It's alright, I'm here for you," as I gently caressed his rough, brown hair and put his head into my chest, allowing him to cry his heart into it.

...

"I...," Steve tried to say, but I cut him off, saying "Shh... you don't have to tell me about it, at least for now. Just rest."

We sat there for minutes on end, and I knew why. We loved each other too much to let each other go, but since we haven't told each other how we fell, we don't know how to let each other go.

Moments before I released Steve, I realized something. Something important. Something special...

This is why I loved him, and why I still love him.

When I was with him, I was no longer confused. No longer scared. I knew who I am.